Hello from Abilene

Sam D

Hi, new member here from Abilene, Texas. Our family inherited a 50 gallon tank from some friends who were unable to take it when they moved. It came with a rather large goldfish (Big Joe) and an algae eater, who were joined by my son's fancy gold. We also have a 10 gallon with a betta and some Harlequin Rasboras.

Big Tank

Betta Tank

As you can see the large tank is pretty empty. It came with some plastic plants but they were in rough shape. I've installed a large sponge filter, and I've got some live plants on the way from Aq-Co-Op. I am wondering if I need a second sponge filter, or if Big Joe is a little too big for this tank? I am also considering upgrading the gravel to something more natural looking, but I'm not sure what would be best.   

I hope to learn a lot more about this hobby and look forward to all the good advice!

Sam

• Like 4

On 6/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, Sam D said:

Hi, new member here from Abilene, Texas. Our family inherited a 50 gallon tank from some friends who were unable to take it when they moved. It came with a rather large goldfish (Big Joe) and an algae eater, who were joined by my son's fancy gold. We also have a 10 gallon with a betta and some Harlequin Rasboras.

Big Tank

Betta Tank

As you can see the large tank is pretty empty. It came with some plastic plants but they were in rough shape. I've installed a large sponge filter, and I've got some live plants on the way from Aq-Co-Op. I am wondering if I need a second sponge filter, or if Big Joe is a little too big for this tank? I am also considering upgrading the gravel to something more natural looking, but I'm not sure what would be best.   

I hope to learn a lot more about this hobby and look forward to all the good advice!

Sam

Welcome to the forum Eventually you need a bigger tank for you goldfish maybe a 75 gallon as for your live plants your goldfish will dig them up as fast as you can plant them I would recommend getting some aquarium co-op easy planters to protect your plants I would add another sponge filter as goldfish produce a lot of waste 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:20 PM, Colu said:

Welcome to the forum Eventually you need a bigger tank for you goldfish maybe a 75 gallon as for your live plants your goldfish will dig them up as fast as you can plant them I would recommend getting some aquarium co-op easy planters to protect your plants I would add another sponge filter as goldfish produce a lot of waste 

I was thinking Big Joe might need more space. I’ve got an easy planter coming and I plan to use the super glue gel method to hold some plants in place. I may see if the plants help before getting another filter, but it’s certainly an inexpensive option. Thanks!

• Like 1