Water change question

TheCzarista

Our tank is having a nitrite spike right now so we are treating with prime and doing water changes. What I am confused by is that after we do a 50% water change,  they SAY it should lower your nitrite levels by 50% but we see no change at all.  Is there something I am missing here?  Levels look exactly the same before and after

Edited by TheCzarista
  • Like 1

This seems odd.  I'd check your tap water for nitrite.  And try and check your test too.  Is it reading the maximum?

What if you check tank water in a cup and then do a 50% change with the cup and test again?

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, CT_ said:

This seems odd.  I'd check your tap water for nitrite.  And try and check your test too.  Is it reading the maximum?

What if you check tank water in a cup and then do a 50% change with the cup and test again?

We have tested the source water,  which is our tap water,  and it tests at 0 nitrite. 

Yes,  the test strip is testing at maximum,  can't get any pinker. 

We are very confused

Ahh gotcha. I've seen threads here about unreliable strip tests. That's always a possiblity, but you've already tested your tap and tank water so maybe that's not the problem. I keep small tanks too and haven't exprienced this yet. It will be interesting to see what you two come up with!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, TheCzarista said:

Yes,  the test strip is testing at maximum,  can't get any pinker. 

ah okay so all you know is > 10ppm or whatever.  if its at 30 and you do a 50% change then you're at 15 and it would still read off the chart.

I'd dilute 1 part tank water 3 parts tap water into a cup, measure that, and multiply the results by 4.  if its still maxed out I'd dilute that mixture 1 part to 3 parts and try again, but hopfully its not that bad :O.

Edited by CT_
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2