Discus - Easy Tip

Fish Folk

We’ve found that our discus tank seems to do best with more frequent but smaller water changes than with huge water changes more spread out.

A2803243-E1C4-4F75-8FCA-B35178B17E21.jpeg.1983bf2230364dea0aa6185d5ca1171f.jpeg

They’re really an unfussy fish. All we have for filtration is 2x sponge filters.

134A2F1A-2B5E-40E3-8005-95D6762C9FAB.jpeg.f20b298a09850f421910a33bb0b3abcc.jpeg

After a water change, they’ll come out eagerly after some frozen entrees.

126CF640-6818-469E-9475-D053BA61B065.jpeg.6b8095b30f5e7e666c4329db088b2b5a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, James Black said:

Have you had any breeding behaivor from some? It seems with the number of discus you have there must be a pair eventually.

Not yet! I _think_ that the big Threadfin Acara is acting as tank boss, keeping dominant male discus from stepping up. But we hope to move the Acara out. And then!!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:38 AM, Fish Folk said:

We’ve found that our discus tank seems to do best with more frequent but smaller water changes than with huge water changes more spread out.

A2803243-E1C4-4F75-8FCA-B35178B17E21.jpeg.1983bf2230364dea0aa6185d5ca1171f.jpeg

They’re really an unfussy fish. All we have for filtration is 2x sponge filters.

134A2F1A-2B5E-40E3-8005-95D6762C9FAB.jpeg.f20b298a09850f421910a33bb0b3abcc.jpeg

After a water change, they’ll come out eagerly after some frozen entrees.

126CF640-6818-469E-9475-D053BA61B065.jpeg.6b8095b30f5e7e666c4329db088b2b5a.jpeg

Just curious how many discus and others/ what size tank 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:01 PM, Angelfishlover said:

Just curious how many discus and others/ what size tank 

Short answer? Too many! 😂

(shhhh.... don’t tell the internet....)

10x Discus. 4-inches diameter avg.

8-12 young Bristlenose Plecos.

1x Threadfin Acara (Geophagus Heckelii)

An absolute out of control infestation of Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

55 gal. (I know! See... this is why we can’t tell the internet...) 

• Haha 4

On 6/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Always wanted discus! They look amazing what are ur parameters on that tank if you don’t mind me asking 

Thanks!

Keys are (1) clean water (2) warm temperature (3) extra air (4) some quality food (5) buy them young

Temp = 87° F

pH = ca. 7.2

GH / KH ... low (I’ve got soft water)

Ammonia / Nitrite = 0 ppm

Nitrate = ca. 10-25 ppm, because or Easy Green dosing + full bio load

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 2:55 AM, Leo2o915 said:

Always wanted discus! They look amazing what are ur parameters on that tank if you don’t mind me asking 

Just so you know, discus are not fussy about water parameters, contrary to everything you read on the Internet. I replied to an earlier post asking about discus and mentioned how hardy they actually are. I have 5 Blue Angels, just over 3", all of whom are doing very well. My water parameters are as follows:

Temp = 26-27C

pH = 8.0

GH/KH = 6dGH/6dGH

Nitrate = 10ppm

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, Fish Folk said:

Thanks!

Keys are (1) clean water (2) warm temperature (3) extra air (4) some quality food (5) buy them young

Temp = 87° F

pH = ca. 7.2

Awesome bro is that straight out of ur tap ? 

• Like 1

Just a word of caution @MH1while what you said about Discus not being fussy about water parameters is often the case for those that come from commercial breeders it isn't necessarily that way with wild caught Discus. A friend who didn't believe me fairly recently experienced  disaster to the tune of about $500 by placing his beautiful wild caught Discus in a tank filled with fairly hard tap water. Even the local LFS had warned him about it but he is still fairly new to to fishkeeping and underestimated the shock his fish could suffer.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:29 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Just a word of caution @MH1while what you said about Discus not being fussy about water parameters is often the case for those that come from commercial breeders it isn't necessarily that way with wild caught Discus. A friend who didn't believe me fairly recently experienced  disaster to the tune of about $500 by placing his beautiful wild caught Discus in a tank filled with fairly hard tap water. Even the local LFS had warned him about it but he is still fairly new to to fishkeeping and underestimated the shock his fish could suffer.

Damn that sucks man yeah with wild caught fish it’s best to keep as close as possible to their parameters 

@Jungle Fan

Even wild caught discus are relatively hardy. Obviously, if you put them through a drastic change in water parameters without any acclimatizing, you may run into problems, as will other species. However, it's almost always another issue. Ammonia, chlorinated water, etc.

Think about it. The Amazon basin goes through an annual cycle of rainfall and ice melt from the Andes. Both pH and water temperature fluctuate substantially during this change of season.

The reality is that discus aren't any more difficult to keep than most other tropical fish. The only thing sensitive about discus is their psychology.

There are a lot of myths in this hobby that keep getting repeated, to the detriment of the hobby.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:05 PM, Fish Folk said:

Thanks!

Temp = 87° F

pH = ca. 7.2

How warm is warm?

I’ve read that anything from 78-86 is acceptable, but 84-86 is the sweet spot.

Does the 87f afford you some wiggle room with your other water parameters?

I’d love to keep discus but I really can’t make the concession to a high temp. I’ve heard someone mention that fish can usually handle one or too stresses (maybe it was plants), but too many less than ideal parameters are what is really detrimental.

What I would love to ‘work’ is plants, corys tetras and rams with a slightly larger fish like discus or angles.

The temp is the one parameter that all of the above can’t settle on.

With most of my plants I feel comfortable pushing 83 in my water. 

I started the tank a few months ago and am having luck with a trio of wild rams, 10 panda corys and my plants seem to be handling the temp okay.

I’m planing on a school of head and taillights and 3-6 angles.

My rack is on an auto water change system and I change over about 70% a week all in small increments.

I’d love to do the discus, but I don’t think everyone else would thrive. I will aim for 80-82 for everyone else so the discus didn’t make sense with what I read most times.

I might honestly swap the wilds for Bolivians to push the temp back to 78 to keep everyone happy.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, JakeH said:

How warm is warm?

I’ve read that anything from 78-86 is acceptable, but 84-86 is the sweet spot.

Does the 87f afford you some wiggle room with your other water parameters?

I’d love to keep discus but I really can’t make the concession to a high temp. I’ve heard someone mention that fish can usually handle one or too stresses (maybe it was plants), but too many less than ideal parameters are what is really detrimental.

What I would love to ‘work’ is plants, corys tetras and rams with a slightly larger fish like discus or angles.

The temp is the one parameter that all of the above can’t settle on.

With most of my plants I feel comfortable pushing 83 in my water. 

I started the tank a few months ago and am having luck with a trio of wild rams, 10 panda corys and my plants seem to be handling the temp okay.

I’m planing on a school of head and taillights and 3-6 angles.

My rack is on an auto water change system and I change over about 70% a week all in small increments.

I’d love to do the discus, but I don’t think everyone else would thrive. I will aim for 80-82 for everyone else so the discus didn’t make sense with what I read most times.

I might honestly swap the wilds for Bolivians to push the temp back to 78 to keep everyone happy.

I love all these fish! We have successfully kept Discus + Rams + Cardinal Tetras + Bristlenose Plecos all happily together in a tank that ran between 83°-89°. Plants definitely are the most challenging puzzle piece at high temps. This is why adding extra air stone(s) is key when water is warm. Warm water can absorb more solids (e.g. easier to mix sugar or salt into hot water) but cool water absorbs more gasses. So, at really warm temps, I suspect it’s important to jam gasses into the water via air stones in order to balance that off. And plants at high temp... you’ve just got to pick and choose. Amazon Swords do well. Valisneria is touchy. Both need root tabs.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, MH1 said:

@Fish Folk, @JakeH

It's absolutely amazing to me how people keep repeating the same bullshit, time after time after time. I've NEVER kept discus above 82F. I've spawned discus at that temp. I'm currently keeping discus at < 80F and all are happy, active, and beautiful.

Good to hear! Just easy does it here. Let’s not put any threads at risk. It’s good to hear from one another’s experiences. 

On 6/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, anewbie said:

What temp are you keeping the tank. It is hard to tell from the picture but most of them look like juvi and need a bit more time to grow to adulthood.

I keep this tank between 82°-87°

Right now, temp reads 82°

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:50 AM, Fish Folk said:

I love all these fish! We have successfully kept Discus + Rams + Cardinal Tetras + Bristlenose Plecos all happily together in a tank that ran between 83°-89°. Plants definitely are the most challenging puzzle piece at high temps. This is why adding extra air stone(s) is key when water is warm. Warm water can absorb more solids (e.g. easier to mix sugar or salt into hot water) but cool water absorbs more gasses. So, at really warm temps, I suspect it’s important to jam gasses into the water via air stones in order to balance that off. And plants at high temp... you’ve just got to pick and choose. Amazon Swords do well. Valisneria is touchy. Both need root tabs.

Plants are a big part of the fun for me. I’m having luck with most of what I plan to keep plant wise at 83-84. Crypts and Java fern have been pearling. The only issues seem to be with the hygrophila pinnatifida. It grows like a weed in another tank, but is struggling in this warmer setup. I suspect I’m changing too much water for what I have been dosing fert wise though. The other tank hasn’t been automated.

I’ve done co2 for about a year now and have a good grasp of managing it at a 78f. Will warmer water complicate a co2 setup? Most of the plant guys are running their tanks on the cool end to help fight algae.

I feel like the discus and rams may need to wait for the next tank. I know everything “can be done” but I don’t want to have to stress. (Whether it’s justified or not) And, I like my plants. The angels and Bolivians are a good substitute look wise...I guess...

With the current project finally coming together I can start planning for the perfect warm water setup.  I have plenty of tank space at the moment and the wild rams can take up residence in an empty 40 that I have been using to prep driftwood.

Discus have been a fun carrot to chase. With what I’ve learned in the past 6 months I feel like the next setup may be the one. I would like to sort out the gas exchange concern at 87f. You’ve got the wheel turning.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 1:14 PM, JakeH said:

Plants are a big part of the fun for me. I’m having luck with most of what I plan to keep plant wise at 83-84. Crypts and Java fern have been pearling. The only issues seem to be with the hygrophila pinnatifida. It grows like a weed in another tank, but is struggling in this warmer setup. I suspect I’m changing too much water for what I have been dosing fert wise though. The other tank hasn’t been automated.

I’ve done co2 for about a year now and have a good grasp of managing it at a 78f. Will warmer water complicate a co2 setup? Most of the plant guys are running their tanks on the cool end to help fight algae.

I feel like the discus and rams may need to wait for the next tank. I know everything “can be done” but I don’t want to have to stress. (Whether it’s justified or not) And, I like my plants. The angels and Bolivians are a good substitute look wise...I guess...

With the current project finally coming together I can start planning for the perfect warm water setup.  I have plenty of tank space at the moment and the wild rams can take up residence in an empty 40 that I have been using to prep driftwood.

Discus have been a fun carrot to chase. With what I’ve learned in the past 6 months I feel like the next setup may be the one. I would like to sort out the gas exchange concern at 87f. You’ve got the wheel turning.

Well, this tank is currently at 82° F. It sometimes swings higher.