New scarlet temple plants from Aquarium Co-op

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It is at minimum at medium light plant.  I got some of the tissue cultured versions from PetSmart, and tried them in all 3 of my tanks one has medium light, one relatively low,  and one with a fluval 3.0.  They are definitely looking better in the the tank with the fluval 3.0 light at 80%.  All tanks are using fluval stratum as a substrate.   They will probably do better with CO2 as well, like most plants, but its not absolutely required.

Bentley Pascoe on one of his YouTube videos had a tip that once it gets to it's desired height you should trim at the top just a little bit, and it will branch out below.  In my experience they don't grow all that fast without CO2, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:25 PM, FredF said:

Bentley Pascoe on one of his YouTube videos had a tip that once it gets to it's desired height you should trim at the top just a little bit, and it will branch out below. 

as in it'll branch out near the bottom of the plant?  or just below where you trimmed?

I got 2 ST's not too long ago. I specifically got them for a high light (finnex planted+) shrimp tank.  They didn't look good when I got them. Mostly stem with dead leaves or all missing leaves. Hardly any roots. Now it's been about a week they don't look like they are going to make it. I put in root tabs and have been using Easy Green. Nitrates in my shrimp tank are lower than my main tank, but the main tank is much lower light. I haven't had trouble with plants from the coop that wasn't something obviously wrong with the conditions. Pretty disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Ryan F said:

I got 2 ST's not too long ago. I specifically got them for a high light (finnex planted+) shrimp tank.  They didn't look good when I got them. Mostly stem with dead leaves or all missing leaves. Hardly any roots. Now it's been about a week they don't look like they are going to make it. I put in root tabs and have been using Easy Green. Nitrates in my shrimp tank are lower than my main tank, but the main tank is much lower light. I haven't had trouble with plants from the coop that wasn't something obviously wrong with the conditions. Pretty disappointed. 

I'm watching mine closely too but they're heading the same way. They came in with barely any roots and the lower leaves were in rough shape or fallen off.  I presume those were emersed leaves.  My hope is the tops spring back to life and when they're tall I can replant them and discard the bottoms.