Ken D.

Hi! I'm the new guy here. Just want some thoughts before I do this. I've had aquariums ever since high school. I now have a well established 10 gal that I'm planning to switch out for a 29 gal. All the stuff I need I have,  just need to set it up. I only have room for one so the 10 has to go! And of course I have the fish that I'd like to keep. So I figured it would be a hectic 2 hours of breaking one down, setting the other one up. Fish in a clean bucket with aquarium water and an air stone. Mixing old substrate with new. Treating water with API Stress Coat and Quick Start. What am I missing?

IMG_20210605_113754453_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Edited by Ken D.
Thought you might like to see my tank as it is now!

I've been toying with trying live plants, but may just stick with silk. I can't kill a silk plant. And probably just stick with tetras for the main part. I'd kind of like to find a flagtail catfish. I had one when I was in high school but never since. And although a 29 may be too small, way back then it did just fine in my 10 gal. 

• Like 1

I would definitely get live plants  you get some floating plant like water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit and vallisneria or Hornwort for the back of the tank and Javan fern or anubis to attach to wood or rocks they are fairly easy to grow

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I'd add to keep the current gravel and decor in the current water (separate container) while you work. That'll keep the bacteria on it alive. 

If you have enough containers for water, go ahead and set out water for the new tank the previous day. That'll let it come to room temp. 

I second @Colu's suggestion of hornwort. That stuff grows a foot a day in the right conditions! It's great for water quality, and about the only way to kill it is to throw it away. So if you do end up turning attention toward plants, know that there are some fool-proof options. 

• Thanks 1

Hi @Ken D. I say if you're comfortable with the silk plants but want to TRY your hand at plants you can go with the suggestions above- but keep the silk in and mix it. The color that silk or fake plants add give the tank some life- plus we can't disregard the fact that the plants you have already have beneficial bacteria on them too. I mixed real and fake too while my real plants grew in and I like the pop of color here and there that natural plants can't give (lets be real here, mother nature didn't consider ALL colors). 

I would like to add to the plant possibilities plants that come already on rocks or wood you can find at box stores or glue some anubias or java fern to some of the rocks or wood you already have. I've also had a lot of fun recently with Aponogeton- it almost looks lilke a silk plant and gives the tank some movement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We'll, finally got a day to do this! Camping trip and life keep getting in the way. Switched over my 10 gal to my new 29 gal in the same spot. Only one minor hiccup when I found the clean 5 gal Lowe's bucket that my fish were in had an unknown leak and there was water everywhere. Switched containers very quickly and all was ok. A process I thought I could do in 2 hours took me 3. And I'm definitely going to use live plants so in a week or so I'll be introducing some in. I may try the tip from xXInkedPhoenixX and have a couple of silk plants in there for color and while the live ones start up. 

IMG_20210712_125107610_copy_1576x2103.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1