Can you use super glue in an aquarium

RyanU

I have a breeder box that has very big slots in it. I want to use it for baby snails. There is a separate plate that comes with it with tiny tiny holes. Perfect for smaller fry and baby snails. I was wondering can I super glue it in place and seal around the edges(with something)  so the baby snails won't escape. 

I have a clutch that was just laid a couple days ago and wanted to set this up and place it underneath  when they are ready to hatch

4 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

The Anubias, Christmas moss, and a few less obvious Bucephalandra started super glued with super glue gel, now they just spread from what has taken root. The Java fern was just deposited in cracks in between roots, and a hollow stump.

20210515_212251a-Edit.jpeg.9e029d9318b833a13bc3307848f181f7.jpeg

Off topic... how often would you have to replace the substrate in a tank that heavy and beautifully planted @Jungle Fan?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

The Anubias, Christmas moss, and a few less obvious Bucephalandra started super glued with super glue gel, now they just spread from what has taken root. The Java fern was just deposited in cracks in between roots, and a hollow stump.

20210515_212251a-Edit.jpeg.9e029d9318b833a13bc3307848f181f7.jpeg

That tank is looking good!

• Thanks 1

@Trish Not planning to in the foreseeable future. Prepped the tank with a layer of deep sea minerals, bacter starter, and then followed up with lava rock, thin layer of fluval stratum to get it started only, thin layer of medium gravel, and finished with Amazon soft belly soil. However, I'm replacing (lots of)root tabs about every 4-5 months, and I'm dosing all in one, liquid iron, potassium and some blackwater extract every two days. more deep sea minerals about every 2-3 weeks. I have friends who've been running tanks like this for going on 8 years now. 50% water change every week, and I'm using a foam pre-filter on my canister. Haven't bought new plants since I started it but have been giving away tons of Ludwigia, crypts, Amazon swords, and Java fern besides those I prune every two weeks.

Edited by Jungle Fan
Had to clarify the amount of root tabs - crypts and swords are rootfeeder champs

5 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

@Trish Not planning to in the foreseeable future. Prepped the tank with a layer of deep sea minerals, bacter starter, and then followed up with lava rock, thin layer of fluval stratum to get it started only, thin layer of medium gravel, and finished with Amazon soft belly soil. However, I'm replacing (lots of)root tabs about every 4-5 months, and I'm dosing all in one, liquid iron, potassium and some blackwater extract every two days. more deep sea minerals about every 2-3 weeks. I have friends who've been running tanks like this for going on 8 years now. 50% water change every week, and I'm using a foam pre-filter on my canister. Haven't bought new plants since I started it but have been giving away tons of Ludwigia, crypts, Amazon swords, and Java fern besides those I prune every two weeks.

Thank you @Jungle Fan You have it down to a fine art and it is paying dividends!  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RyanU said:

Thank you. Also what about silicone. Any brand in particular? 

@RyanUany kind of aquarium silicone will do, as long as it's not the kind for bathrooms because it can leach toxins into the water. I've used Aqueon, and All-Glass depending on what's available to build, or reseal.