Root Tabs Question

I assumed I had to get some time of fertilizer going before getting them? Just like cycling the water before getting fish

This is my first tank in about 10 years and first time getting live plants also so I'm open to any tips and advice. Thanks

• Like 1

Hello @Fresh, I see your thought process with the easy green and cycling. 

However, I would advise waiting until you get the plants. Even at that point, you could probably still wait another week before adding easy green or at least not adding a full dose. Plants tend to go through a period where they get acclimated to your aquarium (they can melt and/or the older leaves will die off). Sometimes these plants are also grown out of water and then have to transition to growing underwater. Aquarium co-op plants are great because they start the process of growing them underwater for you. In a nutshell, as these plants transition to your aquarium, it will take them some time to begin using the fertilizer in the aquarium effectively. 

Algae tends to acclimate to conditions much faster than plants so increasing nutrients in the water while plants are acclimating gives a chance for algae to develop. 

For root tabs, I would only use them for plants that are heavy root feeders. Plants like swords, vallisneria, cryptocorynes, dwarf sag aka plants that propagate by runners usually like root tabs. Plants that also grow from bulbs like root tabs as well like dwarf aquarium lillies, crinums, aponogeton, red tiger lotus, etc. 

Stem plants and epiphyte plants typically prefer a liquid fertilizer like easy green

I hope that helps! 

• Like 2

Yes it does, a whole lot so I appreciate it. I'm glad I find out this info now before potentially wasting the Easy Green and tabs. I had my water tested last Saturday and the ph was at 6.6 & ammonia at 1.4 so I have work to do

Too soon to buy the plants?

• Like 1

I am glad it helped. Personally I do not think it is too soon for the plants. I would be trying to establish and grow plants from day one. 

As a beginner with plants, adding plants before fish will simplify things with learning how to grow plants. You will have less to focus on without the fish. Once you get them established and growing, they will help keep a healthy environment for your fish. 

I would also recommend getting a testing kit (liquid or strips but I prefer strips due to the time they save) so that you can track ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh and kh. Knowing this information is helpful in running a healthy aquarium short & long term. 

• Like 1

More great info. I had a feeling I should get the plants before the fish but just wanted to make sure. I do have 2 feeders & 2 guppies in there to help with the cycle but I will focus on the plants now so I will go ahead and buy a few this weekend. How many tabs should I add also? I read the directions where it states every 5-6 inches, my tanks dimensions are 20x18x20

I definitely need a test kit as well. 

Thank you

• Like 1

This article by the aquarium co-op is great for answering this question: 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/root-tabs

As the article says, you can make a grid  pattern but also make sure to add additional root tabs as needed(as the plants grow larger) to larger heavy root feeding plants.

The plants and their growth will serve as a indicator if you are fertilizing enough. When in doubt, always start off with less fertilizer. 

Here is another article that shows plant nutrient deficiencies that may show up if you are not fertilizing enough: 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

Maybe 1-2 tabs for each plant? I don't think the place I'm going to has any crypts so I'm most likely buying just the swords to start with in terms of plants that need the tabs

I think I'm going to buy 1 sword, 1 sprite, 1 wisteria and 1 anubias.

For a second there I thought you were buying a soda with the “1 sprite” 😂 but I understand, water sprite haha and it will depend on the size of the plant but yeah, 1 or 2 root tabs would be a great place to start. If you find that the growth slows down and/or there is a nutrient deficiency, then add some more. 

7 hours ago, Fresh said:

Maybe 1-2 tabs for each plant? I don't think the place I'm going to has any crypts so I'm most likely buying just the swords to start with in terms of plants that need the tabs

I think I'm going to buy 1 sword, 1 sprite, 1 wisteria and 1 anubias.

My wisteria appreciates the occasional root tab. It doesn't need nearly as much as my sword, but I have noticed better growth since adding root tabs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChemBob said:

My wisteria appreciates the occasional root tab. It doesn't need nearly as much as my sword, but I have noticed better growth since adding root tabs. 

How many tabs have you added? I'm going today during my lunch to buy a sword and wisteria myself, probably a water sprite too.

Edited by Fresh

I probably add 1 or 2 tabs under my wisteria every month. A similar under each sword. Note that I have a patch of wisteria with several plants rooted and that is for the patch. 

Edited by ChemBob

• 2 weeks later...

My swords really took off with root tabs. Once piece of advice - poke a little hole in each end of the root tab with a safety pin before inserting, so the tab is less likely to pop out of the substrate. If it does pop out and you don't notice, it'll expand to about 3 times the size and turn white and freak you out when you find it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CosmicAshhole said:

I added root tabs last night and nearly had a heart attack this morning when the light came on and I saw white things on the bottom. 😅

Haha. Do you have gravel or sand? I have sand but I never saw the nutrients break through,

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

My swords really took off with root tabs. Once piece of advice - poke a little hole in each end of the root tab with a safety pin before inserting, so the tab is less likely to pop out of the substrate. If it does pop out and you don't notice, it'll expand to about 3 times the size and turn white and freak you out when you find it. 

Swords will be my next plant along with Frogbit!

I read that tip elsewhere on here but luckily for me the tabs never popped up. I have 40lbs of sand in a 27g so they're buried a few inches in

• Like 1