I Made These Baby Panda Corys!

Nancy K

The great Texas freeze 🥶 of 2021 that I thought for sure would wipe put my tank gave me Panda babies instead!! First successful spawn of my fishkeeping life and it was on accident but I am so happy. I give all the credit to nature and what I learned on the Aquarium Coop channel and blogs - for guiding me into planted tanks which I am sure helped them survive our five days without electricity (their water was 58 degrees when we got power back and I took the blankets off to “deal with the bodies” and found everyone alive on the bottom of the tank.) 

About a week ago I was throwing some food in there and something squiggled by the skull cave and I looked closer and it was a tiny panda cory! I freaked LOL. A week later there are two (that survived the predation - I had noticed a few weeks ago those harlequin rasboras were looking real real good....)

My setup is 20g tall, pool filter sand substrate, java fern plants, Stingray Finnex light on an 8 hour timer, heater and an airstone. The tank is 14 months old and my six adult pandas were juveniles when I started the tank and reared together. My two babies are already swimming together and eating with the adults. 

311347C9-4402-4090-AE1E-D838017015F0.jpeg

902192C7-FE48-4354-8D09-AEFC30EF9CF5.jpeg

058E4A3F-2B92-434A-972F-E3B334D78D81.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

That is great to hear! I honestly don’t know what they were eating between hatching and finishing their egg sacs and when I spotted them already with adult coloring. That tank has a lot of mulm in the java fern jungle so maybe that? I hope they are out of the woods and I can rear them to adulthood.

• Like 1

I've got two older male Panda Cories and I've got six more Panda Cories coming from Aqua Huna this week to hopefully get a few females to add to the mix. It'll be a few months before I know if there are any females, but with any luck come the fall I may have them breeding. It may be next spring depending on the age/size of the new ones. I'm anticipating them being a bit small. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

I can tell this is an awesome story, but I can't quite tell what it is! Is getting cold what triggered the spawning? So the babies are the silver lining of the TX freeze?

Yes with the heater in the tank powerless and no heat in the house the water got very cold and I think that was what spawned them. I didn't know I had fry or babies until last week.

1 hour ago, Nancy K said:

Yes with the heater in the tank powerless and no heat in the house the water got very cold and I think that was what spawned them. 

That is astonishing to me. I remember crying for people and their fish as that was happening. This is the first I've heard of the situation creating life instead of killing. Beautiful. Love it. 

• Love 1

On 5/12/2021 at 11:10 PM, CalmedByFish said:

That is astonishing to me. I remember crying for people and their fish as that was happening. This is the first I've heard of the situation creating life instead of killing. Beautiful. Love it. 

Thank you. It was a really rough time and we were so fortunate. I was sure after day 3 or so when I finally unwrapped the tank it would be a total loss but everyone made it including the 3 nerite snails and the two surviving harlequins. The water temp was 58 which I thought should have surely killed the rasboras. I have named them Frosty and Freeze hehe and I love nothing more than watching them grow and get bolder in their free swimming.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

About a week ago I found/saw two more baby corys. But they were and are much smaller than my first two babies I originally posted about. Is there any way to know if they were part of the same spawn? I finally got a pic of them side by side today.

A032E08F-3C8C-4F9F-8BD4-F98ACD8A0A09.jpeg