Breeding White Clouds in Ponds

timQ

Have about 20-30 White Clouds in an outdoor pond. The Water temp varies between 55-60, prob warmer when it heats up. Have had them out there for a month or two and no eggs or fry seen. I have seen maybe 10 die but not sure why. Have some Java Moss, hornwort, frogbit and water lettuce. Any suggestions to induce spawning.

spacer.png

Edited by Mako13
Updated Pic

52 minutes ago, Mako13 said:

Updated First post with pic of the params. They look fine to me though? 

Did you test ammonia as well? Also is chlorine reading 0 or 0.8? I can't really tell from the picture.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

To many adults, all thats going to do is start a feeding frenzy.

2 to 3 pair is more than enough

How many is too many? I know nothing about them, but was thinking of putting 10 - 15 off them in my outdoor 100g patio pond with 30 - 40 cherry shrimp culls. 

1 hour ago, DShelton said:

How many is too many? I know nothing about them, but was thinking of putting 10 - 15 off them in my outdoor 100g patio pond with 30 - 40 cherry shrimp culls. 

That really all depend on your setup and fish(themselves).

But I alway bred more babies with less fish. 2 pair gives me 100s of babies.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

That really all depend on your setup and fish(themselves).

But I alway bred more babies with less fish. 2 pair gives me 100s of babies.

Nice, maybe ill take some out and see if I can get them going

I have about 10 yellowfined whitecloud mountain minnows that I bought months ago. I have them indoors in a 10 gallon tank with an undergravel filter. I have fairly hard tap water. I'm using safe-T-Sorb as substrate over my undergravel filter, with some florite red under the safe-T-sorb. I put in some fist sized or slightly bigger stones from a greenhouse selling landscaping stuff. Pretty sure they are granite or something. I have a little gap between them only one fish wide that they can swim in like little canyons and they seem to love it. Then I have some Java Fern Wendelov stuffed in  between the boulders so there was a tiny cave they could swim in under the roots and the males would shimmy and try to lure the females nearby under and into the cave.

So...long story short. I would try adding some rockwork or larger gravel to the bottom or maybe even on one end of the pond with gaps they can explore if you don't have any. Mine seem to like them. I have about 10 fry in my tank now about .25 inches I think? The adults ignore the fry so I just leave them in the tank. I've been feeding them Hikari first bites, and the adults love micro-pellets, extreme community crave flakes, frozen daphnia. They go nuts for frozen daphnia. 

Edited by David Ellsworth
clarification