Turtle woes

RobHart28

Got a nice 60 gallon tank planted up with some good ol aquarium co-op plants all ready to grow... Until my wife DEMANDED turtles... They have uprooted my Scarlett temple, eaten one Valisnaria and toppled a rock on the other, uprooted a sprig of Pogostemon and ate my dwarf baby tears.  They nipped a piece of my water sprite as well but didn't eat it and have left the amazon sword,  crypt, and Anubias alone. Sprite and Anubias are in easy planters. Are there any other good plants I can put in with these aho... I mean turtles. Something fast growing that will stay ahead of their appetite (they won't eat when we try feeding them) that will thrive in high ph 8.2-8.4 hard water 300ppm. 

l could be wrong but we might need to know what kind of turtle they are? Some are probably much more cantankerous than others I would presume. I was being a nerd and doing some research but there are differing opinions when it comes to type of turtle. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Yikes! I’m sorry that happened! Don’t know that turtle, but maybe Java fern? They’ll also be attached to rocks/drift wood so can’t be uprooted and have tougher leaves. 
I’m not sure about anything that grows faster than Val, maybe hornwort or guppy grass, something that will do well floating? 

*edited bc I didn’t see that you already have anubias, that was the main thing I was thinking. 

Edited by SWilson

Well @RobHart28 I think you're out of luck. I think sliders are probably not the kind you can put in with plants. I always wondered why they were considered such an invasive species in my area but I think I've figured it out. I bounced around the internet on turtle/reptile keeping sites- all the keepers of Cumberland Sliders say NO plants can be kept with them t hat won't get uprooted/eaten. Some recommend floating plants because they couldn't be uprooted but also said "and can be easily removed when turtle worn" so I'd stick with fast growers many spoke of recovery/propagation tubs. There was also chatter about how they only keep fake plants but others warned against it because their turtles would eat them. Enjoy your new collection of riverstones and driftwood my friend!

6 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

All i can suggest is to let her have that tank as the turtle tank and get some elodea and then set up a new tank the way you want it multiple tank syndrome!

Yeah I have that big time. Started with 1 gallons for my daughters now have 5 tanks.

It looks to me like their are a couple options here. Tell the wife, no turtles and sell or give away the turtles. I doubt that will go over too well, so the next option might be better. tell her that she can keep the turtles in the current tank and then get yourself another tank that you can set up the way you would like with plants and the fish you want.