Aquarium Co-op sponge filters for 20g long

MadTurtle

So I am starting a new tank and I would like to use the co-op sponge filters. I want to set up a 20 gallon long planted tank with low-moderate plants, and I am planning on getting a couple apisto’s and hopefully getting them to breed. My plans were to use 2 medium sized sponges with airstones, and a tetra whisper for 10 gallons to house some filter floss, and possibly some purigen. I have two questions. 

1) Would it be better to use 2 because of the length(30 inches)? Or just one large one?

2) Will the a USB nano pumps for each one be strong enough? 

13 minutes ago, MadTurtle said:

So I am starting a new tank and I would like to use the co-op sponge filters. I want to set up a 20 gallon long planted tank with low-moderate plants, and I am planning on getting a couple apisto’s and hopefully getting them to breed. My plans were to use 2 medium sized sponges with airstones, and a tetra whisper for 10 gallons to house some filter floss, and possibly some purigen. I have two questions. 

1) Would it be better to use 2 because of the length(30 inches)? Or just one large one?

2) Will the a USB nano pumps for each one be strong enough? 

Or would it be better to get the Aquatop AP-50 and use a t-splitter to power both pumps? I really have no idea about these things.😂 I have been a HOB guy my whole life. 

I have a Small sponge filter in my 20L. The Medium is 8 inches tall, and a 20L is 12 inches tall. 

I felt the Medium filter would be too tall for the tank if you used the top attachment. Remember, you have to account for the inches of substrate and the water level of the tank. 

My filter has been going strong for almost 6 months now. If you're concerned about filtration, I'd have to say it does a decent job. Having switched from HOB myself, all I can say is that I cannot go back to HOB. Sponge is quieter, easier to maintain, and can restart itself in a power surge. I also don't have to cut a large cutout in my tank lid, so fish can't jump out.

For reference, my tank is moderately planted, and is pretty heavily stocked. I rarely do water changes, and the tank is pretty dialed in with all the fish healthy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Maggie said:

I have a small sponge in my 20L along with a small HOB, and a medium along with a HOB in my 45. I think a medium sponge would be too big for a 20L. The nano pump works great in all my tanks.

I have a medium sponge in my 20L, but it’s my cherry shrimp for profit tank and the shrimp go nuts on the filter, so I figured a medium was fine. Doesn’t generate too much flow for it.  

Just finished setup on 20L. I have 2 medium sponges with a Tidal 55 HOB. Stocked with Ram/Tetras/Corys/Rasporas/Shrimp/Ottos. They came from a smaller tank so the transfer over was easy. I'll run this setup until I get their 40B community tank all set. The extra sponge is there to provide bioload used on other tank. I always have 2 sponges running so I can shift to other tanks when starting.

I love the Tidal55 for the 20L. I run it on the end and can adjust the flow. Everybody is happy for now. So I agree you can never have too much filtration/bacteria media. Only issue is flow which can be regulated. 

Edited by bigpuma

I have a 20 long with 4 female betta, 9 neon tetra, and 6 zebra danio. I use just one medium sponge filter and take the plastic tubing off the top. Having bettas LOW FLOW is a must, so No HOB for me, works fine, waters clear. (Medium is a little tall for the 20 long), but id rather use one medium sponge filter than two small ones. Id say go with your personal preference. A small or nano sf would definitely have a much lower profile and hide easily behind plants. But you would need two of them, or one small sf and one nano hob filter in addition would be fine.