Yikes! What are these worms and should I be worried?.

Harpsandfish

Oh wow, that is horrifying. I have never seen a planaria that big, just kill it with fire. Or some popular "medications" (is that what I call them?) like No Planaria. I think Fenbendazole works too, planaria eat shrimp btw. Maybe fish? Idk, but get rid if it man. Plenty of good videos on Youtube too, think Irene even made 1 with 4 methods of getting rid of them.

Yes, joking aside they are planaria. I think if you have normal sized fish and are not trying to breed anything then they are harmless. They are sort of icky looking but not dangerous. They are usually a sign of over feeding.

• Like 1

the internet says they will, but I have not had trouble with them, and I seem to recall cory saying he didn't either. It is hard for me to picture, as fast as they are, a shrimp is much faster. I feel like it is more likely they will eat a dead shrimp, and someone saw that.

• Like 2

Is treating to kill them safe for my fish? I have tetras, a hillstream, raspboras, honey gourami, bunch of snails. I plan on cutting down on feeding based on what you all have mentioned about over feeding (the snail population explosion bears that out😔), so do I need to go after them? My tank is really well-balanced, good numbers and healthy fish, and few water changes or gravel  vac because of that, so I’m not excited about treating for this. 

I would just let them naturally decrease. I had an explosion of hydra and just cleaned off what was visible with a siphon, and stopped over feeding so much. Now I can't even find any. I definitely would not disrupt a healthy tank trying to get rid of them if they are not something that morally offends or terrifies you for some reason. If you think about it, they are just helping you clean up your tank.

• Like 4

Thanks, all! I am going to change feeding to every other day for maybe two weeks and also be very mindful about not feeding so much when I do. I think I got sucked in by how fun it is to watch them during feeding. They seem to love everything I feed so...my bad. I’m also not going to go after the planaria because I know from all that I’ve learned on this forum and @Cory‘s vids that a healthy balanced tank is something to be grateful for and to not mess with. 

• Like 1