Prematurely Ordered Plants

RobHart28

Shipping fail! Not on the part of Aquarium Co-Op that came a day early but now my substrate and hardscape won't arrive until Friday at the earliest. Will the plants I ordered be alright in a bucket of water for a few days? Recommendations to help them live? I've got root tabs and easy green. Thanks!

This is one of those situations where the plants are far more accommodating than animals.  Keep them submerged in (treated) tap water, perhaps give a squirt of easy green, and perhaps even get some light on them.  I know I have taken plants on the road after keeping them in a bucket for a few days (I was visiting my parents for a few days over thanksgiving, and purchased them when I visited a LFS that was a half-hour drive from their house the wednesday before, and drove the plants home on Saturday morning).  The plants (some kind of hygrophila) probably would have been happier with more light during their stint in the bucket, but were fine, and are still thriving.

I like to have at least one utility tank or bucket going at all times with water, a sponge filter, and a light. In boring times, I will use it for off-gassing chlorine. When things are changing, it might hold spare sponge filters or media, plant scraps, or new plants that I haven't had a chance to plant yet. By default now, when I get in a plant order, they all go into the utility bucket or tank first thing, since I tend to wait for inspiration to actually plant. Usually, that inspiration is, "hey, look at that empty spot on the substrate!"

• Like 2

I will add that I have staged plants in buckets and tanks with just water, but they do better with water circulation. I have used small internal power filters, but sponge filters are easier, and air stones might be enough.

Edited by Streetwise

On 4/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, RobHart28 said:

Shipping fail! Not on the part of Aquarium Co-Op that came a day early but now my substrate and hardscape won't arrive until Friday at the earliest. Will the plants I ordered be alright in a bucket of water for a few days? Recommendations to help them live? I've got root tabs and easy green. Thanks!

Yes. I don't know what plants you have but I did the same thing and kept two plants out of water but under grow lights for a week and they survived.  Albeit they were java fern and an anubias.. I think yours should be fine!

Well you guys weren't kidding. Had the plants in a 5 gallon bucket with a single squirt of easy green for the last couple days. Been sitting on my dining room table under no light and the octopus and scarlet temple have nearly broke the surface when they were at least 2-3" below it when I put them in. Valisnaria isn't looking too hot though kinda limp and turning brown. Hoping it comes back after planting.

• Like 1