Petite siphon?

CalmedByFish

1 minute ago, CalmedByFish said:

and @GardenStateGoldfish

How do you get the suction started when not using the wide part on the end? 

Get part of the tube filled with tank water by submerging 1/4 of the tube in the tank, tip it up so the water fills the mid to bottom section of your tube but pinch it off to keep it in the tube.  Then put the top end in the tank and keep the end submerged in the water.  Then release the bottom end so the water that was in the tube will flow out into your bucket.  As that water goes into the bucket the syphon effect will begin to suck more water from your tank.😊

10 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

and @GardenStateGoldfish

How do you get the suction started when not using the wide part on the end? 

I have well water with no chlorine, so I usually fill the syphon hose at the sink, plug the end with my finger and then pop the finger-plugged end in the tank.  For my 5.5 gallon, I usually just use a couple of quart yogurt containers to catch the water, and the tank's in the kitchen so I dump as I go as needed.  Not saying this is a super pro way to do it, but it's working for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

@Lifeisgood If I understand you right, it's the same way you start a suction when also using the wide part of the siphon. Right?  

Yup.  Just make sure there is water in your hose that will pull more water out of your tank when you are ready to start syphoning.

• Like 1

This is just another way that I've found- I have been taking care of almost 40 baby Otocinclus for the last month in varying stages- I have some in a small breeder, and now the vast majority in a 10 gallon grow out. Siphoning is amazing but it makes me nervous around babies. So I found that "vacumming" with a Liquid dropper like a very small turkey baster is an AMAZING tool. I can easily vacuum up old food around all the translucent babies in the little breeder- and today, though it's just a little more time consuming I cleaned up the bare floor of the 10 gallon. Squeeze the dropper head put it in the tank or breeder and just go around slowly letting up on the squeeze ball- I dump it in a cup so I can easily tell if any wayward babies are in it (thankfully that has not happened so far). I buy very small ones but I bet there are bigger ones or even that turkey baster you never use, that could also help with fine detailing/controlled vacumming!

Screenshot_20210408-170502_Amazon_Shopping1.jpg

4 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I found that "vacumming" with a Liquid dropper like a very small turkey baster is an AMAZING tool.

I actually have a few tiny ones (previously used for human meds) that I could try. I hesitate to stick my hands in the tank for fear of what sorts of residue my skin might be transferring in, but. 

I found airline tubing fits well over the luer end of a syringe  Then just pull the plunger out of the syringe and you have a tiny gravel vac.  If you don't like the little wings at the end you can cut the syringe down with a serrated knife