How weird is this?

genuine_red

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Don't you just love surface tension? 🙂

No, I prefer the deep tension that comes with really knowing someone enough to skirt around mutual areas of disagreement. 

But I do love watching my snails creep across the top of a tank upside down. When I was a kid my mom told me horror stories of tanks overcome by snails so I was charmed when I discovered they were not only adorable but useful pets/puffer food. 

• Haha 3

My bladder snails and baby ramshorn snails do this all the time too. It was funny watching them float around the tank and stretch their bodies to reach the surface or a java fern leaf. They love to eat the surface film on aquariums, but it can also be a water quality issue too my online research showed. It got me to test my water once and found elevated ammonia in the tank which lead to the discovery of a dead fish. Entertaining and useful. 

3 hours ago, David Ellsworth said:

My bladder snails and baby ramshorn snails do this all the time too. It was funny watching them float around the tank and stretch their bodies to reach the surface or a java fern leaf. They love to eat the surface film on aquariums, but it can also be a water quality issue too my online research showed. It got me to test my water once and found elevated ammonia in the tank which lead to the discovery of a dead fish. Entertaining and useful. 

I've heard that the snail population is a good indicator of the health of the tank. As in, you will have an abundance of snails (assuming you have them in the tank) when you have a lot of algae or mulm.