Articles?

CorydorasEthan

Hey guys, I thought that an articles section on the forum would be a neat idea. Members would write their own articles on fish care, fish breeding, plant care, how-to DIY projects, stocking suggestions, and more. This articles section would allow forum members and visitors alike to easliy find the experiences of different fishkeepers here on a specific fish or project they are researching. This section would differ from the journals in "Photos, Videos, and Journals" section because journals track one's experiences, while the articles would simply be sharing the care and how-to's based on one's experiences. Do you guys think that this would be a good idea? If not, what could we do to achieve something similar?

Thanks.

• Like 2

I think its a great idea 🙂. I think the articles would have to be submitted by a mod or cory so they are verified good information.

also I would like to see sticky threads which is a thread that has a specific section in the different categories it isn't a article but it could have some useful information or it could be a show off thread.  example like the fish memes thread, or the various picture day threads like top down Tuesday and wooded wednesday(I think that's what they were called)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Idea!

We already have a simmilar thing on this forum. But the articles/ files are not written by the nerms but by people who have their PhD in their feild of study. Its kind of a hidden gem because tehre is no button on the homepage to visit this link.

its:

forum.aquariumcoop.com/files

But I love the idea of having the NERMS write the article. It would get me interested in researching something.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk Very good explanation! I was going to comment on your thread, but I didn't want to ruin it by going off topic like I am about to. Anyway, on to the review first. Your choice of words, addition of quotes, and style of writing made it feel very professional, as would be expected when reading a scholarly article or aquarium guide. I would hope that this serves as a guide for future new aquarists to come across it. As you mentioned, all too frequently we nerms find ourselves answering the same few questions to beginners seeking help. Though this is not at all a bad thing, it certainly can get pretty old.

This is where @Fish Folk's post ties into the topic of forum members writing articles. But here is where the concern arises. The concern that we average nerms do not have the experience and knowledge to provide sustainable information for an article. But in reality, we have one of the biggest stores of experience and knowledge here on the internet. Each of us nerms on this forum has at least one area of expertise in the hobby, be it in the care of a certain fish species, the delicate works of aquascaping, or the complicated measurement and analysis of water chemistry, amongst many others. If those of us who wanted to were to each make our own contributions according to our own strengths, many of the gaps in our individual contributions would be filled in. The forum could put together a large store of information that would serve as an excellent resource for newer aquarists.

Of course, with the process of gathering information, writing the article, and the final checking it by experienced nerms would take a while. Any suggestions on a faster and smoother process will definitely be taken into consideration.

I have also been asked by @Hobbit to make arrangements for the articles on Nerm Day/CARE Forum Anniversary Day (July 14). Those of you who want to are welcome to post your first articles during the course of that week.

Those of you who are interested in writing articles can either post here or contact me through personal messanger. I will need a group of nerms to help me! Anyway, thanks for reading!

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I have also been asked by @Hobbit to make arrangements for the articles on Nerm Day/CARE Forum Anniversary Day (July 14). Those of you who want to are welcome to post your first articles during the course of that week. Just now I got some feedback from @Anita, who is more than willing to host this project as well.

Those of you who are interested in writing articles can either post here or contact me through personal messanger. I will need a group of nerms to help me! Anyway, thanks for reading!

@CorydorasEthanCheck your inbox for a PM. Thanks! 😎

Edited by Anita
  • Like 3

This is great, @CorydorasEthan! I do want to add that I think this project is much bigger than NERM day—it’s something that will take a lot of time and thought, and is quite possibly something we want to keep doing for a long time. So don’t feel constrained by the holiday. If some article or articles come out that week, that’s great, but let the project take the space it needs. 👍

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hobbit said:

This is great, @CorydorasEthan! I do want to add that I think this project is much bigger than NERM day—it’s something that will take a lot of time and thought, and is quite possibly something we want to keep doing for a long time. So don’t feel constrained by the holiday. If some article or articles come out that week, that’s great, but let the project take the space it needs. 👍

Haha, you read my mind! @CorydorasEthan and I are currently strategizing about how to keep this project a manageable size, since we are asking people to volunteer their time and efforts! Also, I want to do our best to include everyone who wants to contribute, because this is supposed to be a celebration of our online community. 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 

I beg your patience as I get my thoughts organized. 😇

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I am so excited by how much progress has already been made!

To streamline communication and planning @Anita has graciously volunteered to coordinate with @CorydorasEthan's assistance.

I look forward to seeing how this unfolds!

My goal is for us all to have fun with this. Please bear with me as I try to figure out how to best accomplish this! 🤓

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in helping out, please PM me and let me know what you would like to do. Thanks! 😎

6 minutes ago, James Black said:

Just a question:

Will there be a thread with all the articles are all posted in? Or will there be a whole new topic?

Still figuring things out. 🤔 When I have a plan, I will let you all know! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Seems analogous to the "blog" section on the ACO website.

ACO Blogs

Maybe the articles section can/should be modeled after it? Anyways I like the idea.

I do too! It has been added to my organizational "Under Consideration" list. Thank you! 😁

• Like 1

Quick update for what I have nicknamed our Forum Anniversary Member Articles Project

Not too much to report except to let you all know that I am currently communicating with @Daniel @CorydorasEthan and @KaitieG on a plan for this anniversary event. 💡

I.e., silence on this thread does not mean nothing is happening! Like the proverbial duckling, we are madly paddling away below the water's calm surface. 🦆

In the meantime, you could help keep my inbox less cluttered by posting suggestions or questions in this thread. I am following the thread and will post my reply as soon as possible. BTW, I am in the midst of my busy season, working as an editor and announcing college sports events. So I will not be as present on the forum in general and may be a bit slower than usual to reply here. 

If you are interested in helping with this project, then, please send me a PM! ✉️

Bye for now... 😎

Edited by Anita
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...