Who has experience with "Aponogeton"

So I got these plants yesterday as a continuing project to add plants to my tanks. I don't have any of these yet. Once I got them home I placed them in my quarantine tank. I have 2 issues:

1.) In one of my pics you'll see some black stuff on one of the bulbs, is that harmful to the plant or fish or tank in any way? It looks like I might be able to remove it with a toothbrush but if that's something the plant needs I didn't want to act before I knew. 

2.) Does one plant these or just leave them free floating/wandering in the tank?

Resized_20210324_103834.jpg

Resized_20210324_103744.jpg

As @Corysaid the plants look healthy, and the black stuff isn't a problem. As to should one plant them, that's how they normally occur in nature, it's where they anchor their roots, and part of their nutrients are absorbed from inside the substrate. Adding substrate would also give you the option to add other plants like cryptocoryne, swords, and all kinds of stem plants, plus it gives your tank more surface area to be colonized by beneficial bacteria to aid in removal of waste, it would be a win/win.

• Thanks 1

@starsman20 @ScottEsh WOW! They all look amazing! I hope I can get mine to grow like that. I have had a hard time getting my "tall" plants tall so far. I admittedly got these on a whim without having researched them because I love how the leaves sway, turn and curl like both of your pictures. They're planted in plant substrate and will be supplemented with root tabs (I don't fertilize the water, I generally choose "easy" plants, but this could be why my tall plants don't grow tall, they're just healthy) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@starsman20 or @ScottEsh either of you (or anybody else with experience) know what's going on when your plant sends out a stem like this? I see in both your pics your plants seem to be doing it. Is it going to be a flower or another bulb or does it want to be out of water? 

Resized_20210416_175851.jpg

Resized_20210416_175954.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1

@Isaac M thanks for letting me know about the live stream. Of all the rabbit holes I went down to try and find out what to do about an aponogeton sending out a bloom stem NOBODY said anything about whether you should cut it back or not to encourage growth. THANK YOU @Cory for addressing it. It hadn't bloomed yet so I cut it back. Is it the same as with cutting back the leaves? Close to the bottom of the stem?

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1