guppy mating behavior

swivvr

So I just recently put my gourami in the display tank and noticed my one guppy in there started to do some mating behavior towards him. I was super surprised. The honey gourami was peaceful and just kept swimming away, while the guppy kept harassing it. I am stumped on why the guppy was doing this and would like to know your opinion. Few months back, the guppy did mate with other guppys before but got rejected by the other guppy. I don't know whether if the guppy is female or male, but here is a video in which you can see the guppy. 20g long aquarium with corydoras - YouTube

Males guppies aren't picky when it comes to mating. Males have been known to mate with anesthetized female guppies. I have seen them trying to mate with big female swordtails so never underestimate what is going on their tiny brains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I have a large male neon swordtail (who appeared to be a full grown female when I put him/her/it in the bedroom tank) who tries to mate with everything. I've got the another male swordtail (who was supposed to be her mate before she became a he), five young pleco fry from a December spawn, a larger barely adult female pleco, and three young swordtails in there.  Suffice to say if it swims, he's trying to mate with it. He's either exceptionally near-sighted or exceptionally hormonal, but even when he's the only fish in sight (which is often the case as everyone else is trying to avoid him) he just swims around flexing his gonopodium. He's a pretty entertaining fish to watch and it's a good thing as he's the only fish you see on a regular basis as everyone else hides out to avoid him. Based on my limited experience with him, I'm thinking the later to develop male swordtails might just get a bit hypersexual. There's a bit of "Hey, I just got this thing and I'm loving it!" My other male swordtails in other tanks are a bit frisky, but not to the level of this guy/former gal. He even tries flirting with the snails. They just clamp down though and he ends up swimming away. I think the other fish in the tank would be very happy if I relocated him, but he's funny to watch.