While it's not my first post, I'm new here.  I've been watching Cory and someone else I never knew her name but always calls herself "Gamer's wife" on YouTube as I was preparing for my betta.  

A few years ago I had rescued a comet goldfish (a centerpiece in a vase).   I made a lot of bad decisions but with good intentions.  Including putting him in a 10g and giving him company with a fan tailed goldfish.  While I never did water tests, I knew the ammonia was high so I tried to do water changes weekly. But I couldn't keep up. Eventually the comet died, and the fantail lasted almost a year. I then put away the tank. 

A few years later I decided to try again. I decided to get a betta. So my 4 year old and I watched so many YouTube videos on this.  I didn't want to make the same mistakes again. Aquarium Co-op, along with a few others, really helped. 

I'm  still learning even now after the betta is doing well after a few weeks. I'm  currently working on "hot rodding" my HOB, which is how I found this forum. It may seem overkill for a betta, but I'm doing it to learn.  I'd like to one day have a 50g if space (and spouse) permits. But I don't want to do it unless I'm confident in what I can do, and am aware of what I can't. 

I'm glad to be here. Although my son prefers I watch more videos.... 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I really like watching KGTropicals

That's actually one of the big ones for me.  They also introduced me to the LFS that I eventually got my betta from (not too far from me).  Others I like to watch, even if it's not about bettas, are Kaveman Aquatics and Ben Ochart.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Irene said:

Welcome to the CARE forum! So happy to hear you're a fan of both our channels. Can't wait to see a pic of your beloved betta if you get a chance. 🙂

I like to name my devices at home after Transformers.  I was going to do the same with my betta.  But after my brother gifted me with a Star Wars related centerpiece (which didn't fit the look of the rest of the tank but I didn't care - I liked it), I thought Star Wars names would be a good option too depending on how it looked. 

My son wanted one with a blue in it.  I found this guy and I had to get him. 

Anakin

20210226_185630.jpg

20210226_185327.jpg

20210226_093554.jpg

When I first got him, he was a much lighter shade of blue. He reminded me of Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber. Hence the name 

Edited by Gideyon
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, JamesB said:

Every Day I learn something new from this forum, and I'm sure you'll learn pleanty of new things also.

I really like watching KGTropicals on youtube, they have lots of betta care videos. They even sell bettas on there website!

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you have lots of fun here!

Yes, KGTropicals is great too!

Welcome to the forum. I'm also fairly new but already have learned tons. Really fantastic group of people with a wealth of knowledge!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalita said:

Yes, KGTropicals is great too!

Welcome to the forum. I'm also fairly new but already have learned tons. Really fantastic group of people with a wealth of knowledge!

Another I forgot to mention was Prime Time Aquatics.  What I really enjoy about them is that they give great advice on doing things more economically. They're also just enjoyable to listen to.