Fluval E Series and ambient room temperature

Tom G

Today I installed a Fluval 300W E Series in my 75 gal tank. Tank is in my basement where room temp is about 67 degrees. I set the heater to 81 degrees and water temp never rose above 77 degrees, all day. I researched this heater a bit and discovered it can’t heat water more than 10 degrees warmer than the ambient room temp. See video about 2 minutes in. Am I understanding this correctly? This seems amazing to me. I have an old Marineland heater and it’ll warm that water to anything I choose, it doesn’t care what the room temp is and nor should it!

This is funny-not funny.

I two purchased this same heater, in fact two of them for a 125 gallon Discus tank.  Tank is located in basement/family room.  Temperature here is about 69-70.  Those two heaters struggled to get my tank to 82-84 degrees.  I would look over and see one or both with that blue display.   
I replaced one with Eheim Jager 250W.   Problem solved.

little disappointed..

2 hours ago, Tom G said:

Yep no chance of cooking fish if it fails to even heat the tank.

a Fluval rep told me this that the heater failing to get to temp is what’s supposed to happen. Said solution was to buy a second heater or heat my basement. Unbelievable. 

What they're telling you is just a fact about modern times. 

You,  and some few of us, might pay $30 for a reliable heater,  but the vast majority would rather pay $15 and forget about it. 

Dunno about you, but I spend $40 on the heater and then another $30 on a controller, because I don't believe that you can 100% trust any heater these days.

Also to the OP, sometimes two heaters on a tank can be good. If one fails, your tank won't end up completely unheated. And as @Daniel said, if they fail on, they won't be able to cook your tank. Or better, you could run two heaters with a temperature controller with two probes and two set points.