Nano tank siphon/gravel vacuum

Dawn T

Anyone on the forum know how an easy DIY to make one? I've been using just a piece of airline for sucking up debris from my 1.5g jarrarium, but the flexibility of the airline results in frustration because I can't direct it easily without sticking my whole hand in there, which causes issues with the hardscape and plants. I need a non-flexible end, like on gravel vacs, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Any ideas?

hardware stores have some see through 1/4" I assume either PVC or Vinyl tubing that is clear. This is the same material as normal gravel vacs. Then you can buy a PVC reducer coupling to make a mini gravel vac. Although there are nano specific gravel vacs on the market if you don't want to fuss with that.

• Thanks 1

Yes to the zip tie thing! I have one of those giant barbeque skewers zipped tied top and bottom to airline tubing. I can scoot the skewer up and down a bit to change how much the skewer sticks out past the end of the tube. Longer for when I'm trying to gravel vac, shorter for when I'm vacuuming leaves or hardscape. 

Have you tried a turkey baster? The key to not spilling is to 1) squeeze bulb as much as possible to get the most air out before putting it in; 2) release pressure on the bulb slowly and evenly as you vac, making sure not to re-squeeze; 3) ensure it is as full as it can be (bulb completely reinflated) before removing it; 4) lift carefully and do not put any pressure on the bulb; and 5) have a container right there to empty it, again put no pressure on the bulb before it is over the container or it makes a mess.

• Like 1

@Maggie, I tried that. Even bought one that has a valve in it so it won't backwash when you pull it out of the water. Just too thick to work in my jar well. I'll be uploading updated photos to that the jar's thread in a bit and will link it here, so it'll be easy for all of you to see what kind of space I'm working with.