Nano tank stocking ideas for visually impaired.

Ben Ellison

I recently setup a 7.5 gallon tank with a nice read chamber for loads of media for my grandmother. She has a eye disease and has very poor vision. She wants me to out something in the tank I can breed if possible. I currently have the tank planted and cycling. I am wanting some feedback on ideas for sticking the tank from the community. She needs vibrant colored fish the larger the better. I will be going there weekly to care for it so no crazy bio loads that require lots of water changes. I am considering a pair of honey gourami's. I know they typically require a larger tank but I think I can make it work. Appreciate any ideas .

20210218_151846.jpg

20210218_151854.jpg

20210218_151735.jpg

I think breeding might be difficult in that tank especially if you want to keep it low maintenance. I actually have the same all in one tank by UNS, when I test filled mine, the total volume I got was 5 gallons.

I personally would just put 1 honey gourami and maybe a bunch of cherry shrimps. You can still breed but the bio load won't be too high.

• Like 2

I'm legally blind (very VERY nearsighted) without my glasses, and so I'm just giving an opinion on what I think I'd like if I could no longer use eyewear. BUT, in a tank that size, I think I agree that maybe a very colorful red neocaridina would be the way to go; like bloody marys that would stand out well against a lush, green garden of aquatic plants. With no fish in the tank, the shrimp would fill it up rather quickly, and be all over the surfaces and swimming in the water column. A bold, solid color I would appreciate more than anything with a pattern; patterns of small colors blend together to a point where I would not even be able to tell they weren't a solid color. Maybe add a big, yellow mystery snail for variety they can name.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My eyes are also not so great. Without glasses I’d have to be right next to the glass to see the Endlers or Shrimp. 

I think I’d want something high contrast. The honey Gouramis sound great, and some Albino Corys would really contrast with the black substrate. 

Another option would be a nice bright Betta

B59DE3D8-859B-4429-AF8E-D5ADD5507A06.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For size and color, how about a couple magenta or gold mystery snails? They can get rather large, like silver-dollar size, they're a lot of fun to watch (a lot faster than you imagine!) and if you have a male and female, they'll be able to slowly reproduce, but in a way that's easy to control (you'd need to re-home pretty much all of the babies, but they're in pretty high demand).

IMG_0789_1200x1200.jpg.fefdb0aeb0a61e51b9bdca7df5e830e4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Breeding honeys won’t work in such a small tank, only because the male gets aggressive when guarding his eggs and the female won’t have any space to get away. But I think the betta plus mystery snail is a great idea! I think breeding mystery snails would be pretty interesting.

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1

I was considering orange cherries since I already have a few hundred red lol. A single male betta had def crossed my mind as well. I'm leaning towards it . The snails I was afraid since it's rimless and lid less they might go on a adventure. But I'm planning on having at least a snail.

• Like 4

Some bright guppies with some tail action would show up nice and work in a 5 gallon.  Without my glasses mine look like so much confetti flickering in the light.  They are so active and cheerful to watch.  You could put all males in it if you decide you don’t want to deal with the numbers of fry they can put out.