Had a question about using a breeder box

Leo2o915

47 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My favorite way to remove nitrates are aquarium plants (I realize this sounds like I am being a wiseacre). I cannot for the life of me keep nitrates up, even after adding Easy Green because to plants in my aquariums remove the nitrates so fast.

I think @Brandy has the same problem.

Daniel, what type of plants do you use?  I just can't get mine to make much of a dent.  I don't know if it's cause they just aren't thriving like they should be or if I just have too much nitrate and not enough plants, maybe my stocking.  Probably a bit of everything.  I've even guy three pothos in the back of my main tank.

No matter what I do I can't get below 40 nitrate. 

As Daniel suggests, plants, especially fast growing floating plants is your answer. They will use ammonia as their nitrogen source so less gets converted to nitrites, then nitrates by bacteria. I quite like water sprite, but there are many others.

I tried for a very long time to culture anaerobic bacteria using a Loc & Loc canister and a Tom Aqua lifter - just never really worked. I'm also experimenting with anoxic biocenosis clarification baskets, but haven't reached a conclusion yet (articles on my blog).

Water lettuce! Vallisneria. Duckweed. Water lilies. Java moss. Madagascar lace plant...

I also have hornwort in some tanks, and a plant I recently found out was technically a noxious weed in the us... That I will quietly be keeping because it grows like a...(fear not I won't let it escape, nor pass it on)

Whatever grows fast for you is the trick. This is why we all need to try a great variety of plant types. When you get winners for your water keeping them alive is not a problem.

3 hours ago, MJV Aquatics said:

As Daniel suggests, plants, especially fast growing floating plants is your answer. They will use ammonia as their nitrogen source so less gets converted to nitrites, then nitrates by bacteria. I quite like water sprite, but there are many others.

I tried for a very long time to culture anaerobic bacteria using a Loc & Loc canister and a Tom Aqua lifter - just never really worked. I'm also experimenting with anoxic biocenosis clarification baskets, but haven't reached a conclusion yet (articles on my blog).

I got cichlids