Dwarf aquarium lily from Aquarium Coop

Maggie

Greetings! I've been so busy with my betta tank this week that I didn't notice this little gem creeping up in my 20L danio tank...won't be long now before it breaks the surface! More new growth also coming out the other side.20210215_175853.jpg.5cdf73ca3d9d9a2560027e25e494d95d.jpg of the bulb.

20210215_175903.jpg

20210215_175923.jpg

• Like 1

Make sure you want your leaves at the surface. If you want it to fill out more around the bulb clip that surface leaf before it gets there. Once they get to the surface thats all they will do. I LOVE water lilies but i really wish my dwarf aquarium lilly had more leaves around the bulb and now will am waiting to do a full rescape before i trim it and try to retrain it.

• Like 1

Now i have not personally tested this yet but from what I understand you should trim the surface shoots at the max height you want underwater leaves before it reaches the surface. Do this until its filled out as much as you want since once they hit the surface that is all they will do from then on. I think it is a safety thing, they know danger is at a certain height so they make shorter shoots till they get to the surface and “know the coast is clear.”

• Like 2

Hi Maggie!

It's so exciting to see your bulb growing! From my experience, the leaves growing to the surface look different than the leaves growing around the base. That's why it's so easy to remove them as they grow if you don't want them. I always cut mine off because I believe the tall ones take away energy from the base ones. If it were me, and I wanted lily pads on the surface, I would wait until the bulb filled out lower leaves first and then let some shoot up. I also use root tabs and a haphazard application of Easy Green. I'm so glad you are making the foray into planted tanks - I think they are easier than non-planted (when using easy plants)  because the plants absorb excess nutrients which can result from occasional neglect. Good Luck!

Hi @Cyndi, thanks for the lily info! I am only using fake plants for cover for the shrimp and very shy dwarf emerald danios until the real plants fill in a little more, as this tank (20L) was just set up in December. There is also cryptocoryne wendtii, water sprite, java moss, java fern, some sort of dwarf grass, and anubias gold coin in there. The sprite really took off but then I had a bout of BBA which actually killed about half the sprite and started in on the fern; now that's under control and almost gone (Easy Carbon and light adjustment).

• Like 1

So, I cut the first lily pad at the base. Another shoot appeared right next to it shortly thereafter and promptly grew 2" in one day, and I clipped it.

20210224_152233.jpg.44d6d414129c734446af6b8224b1d7cd.jpg

Yesterday I noticed a new growth, and it looks like it will stay at the bottom this time!

20210224_151305.jpg.9d6157f560ad22fac9e2d151d72cfd9c.jpg

This lily is going to eventually take over that entire section and I can't wait!! 

• Like 1

@Maggie That is so exciting! I love hearing someone else getting excited about water lilies in aquariums. Personally I think they are so much better than floating plants. Im planning on testing a bunch of other dwarf lilies as I get more tanks. 

This actually gives me some confidence to try cutting some of my surface leaves and seeing if i can get more base leaves going.

• Like 1

Well this little plant is the lily that wouldn't quit. It looks like it learned its lesson quickly not to send a shoot so far up after that second snip! 

20210227_181722.jpg.972ab594813962454249d4babd11741b.jpg

Here is the phenomenal growth as seen from the surface. Up close on the recent new growth.

20210227_181748.jpg.97486b86691c2bfe207665e6d501e763.jpg

Starting to fill in nicely!

20210227_181818.jpg.aacde2ad8657783ecc1dd6d6a8c37afe.jpg

You're lucky yours is doing so well. Mine's still just sitting there doing nothing since I got it on January sixth. The good news is it's not rotting, but it's also not growing. It's just lying there. I'm closing in on eight weeks of it doing nothing. It's not a huge problem, but I did clear a nice big space for it and to have no growth is kind of annoying. Still, it's not rotting so there's that. It may still spring to life, but I'm getting a bit doubtful. I think I may have gotten a dud, but then again, maybe not as it's not rotting. I just keep watching it, rotating it, checking it, and wondering if it'll ever show signs of life.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Coop is sending me a new one that's coming Saturday, so I'm hoping that one takes off and grows. My old one is now nine weeks in the tank, well tanks, I've tried moving to another tank in the hopes it would motivate it to grow, but no luck. It's doing nothing. It's not rotting which is good. No smell (other than fishy.) Nice and solid, but inert. It looks exactly like it did when I put it in the tank, just wetter. I've tried it in a cooler tank (72 degrees)  a warmer tank (78 degrees)  in a darker section, in a brighter section, I've rotated it in every way possible, and it just lies there. I kind of jinxed myself by making the hole for it in the plants already in the tank before I knew it would grow. Maybe bulb Number two will fill that hole.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Maggie said:

@gardenman, oddly the lily in my betta tank has been in so far since February 15 and same thing as yours - not soft, but no growth yet except the fuzz on the outside. The first one sprouted in 5 days. Good luck with the replacement! 

Mine hit the tank on January sixth and went through the fuzzy stage. The pond snails took care of the fuzz. Since then it's just been lying there inert. It's not rotting which is good, but it's not growing. The snails have lost interest in it. The replacement can't be any worse.

It's interesting the various views on them online. Some claim a 50% success rate. The Coop says only 5% are duds. Some places sprout them first to be sure they'll grow and toss the ones that don't, but the sprouted bulbs tend to get damaged in shipping. If nothing else gets bulb one to grow it'll be getting bulb two. Once it knows it's being replaced it'll suddenly decide to sprout then I'll have to find something to do with two of them. If it's still not growing come May (and it hasn't rotted) I'll try putting it outside in some water and see if the direct sunshine motivates it to grow. Sunshine is the solution to a lot of problems. Maybe it's the way to get these bulbs to sprout when they're refusing to do so. It's too cool here until May though so that'll be an experiment for down the road. Though I could try it under my purplish plant lights that I'm using for my outdoor seedlings. That's pretty intense stuff. I think I will try that. Maybe that will motivate it to sprout?  

• Like 1