Help identify this snail

FishyJames

On 2/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, FishyJames said:

I have found 3 so far and they met their demise.

egg sacs look like clear, sort of circular globs with white dots, will be stuck to the undersides of leaves or side of the glass, typically.  They're a bit hard to remove manually as they're very sticky and I always ended up just losing part of it in the tank anytime I tried.  I have not found alum to be an effective dip for plants against eggs  (does work on snails), but maybe I'm not making the concentration strong enough.  Not sure if it would make sense to take out and dip your established plants anyway.  I haven't heard of any other way to get rid of the egg sacs, but I have seen my fish (endlers) eating them occaisionally between meals, so you could feed less and see if that happens. 

• Thanks 1

Personally like bladder snail they are quite beneficial to my tanks and I have pea puffers I can feed them to. If you do want to get rid of them though assassin snails are good option. However be careful they'll hunt and kill all types of snails in the tank. 

• Thanks 1

Bladder snail, aka pond snail. I love mine. They're great natural gauges for whether or not you're overfeeding or have issues in a tank that you can't see. In a balanced tank, I've found their population balances out at low levels. They're a great little clean-up crew. If you're overfeeding, or have a lot of plant die-off or a fish that hides and dies, the population explodes. Resolve the problem, and the population falls back to more sane levels. I consider snails and algae both to be great visual gauges of tank health.

BTW, I can second @ElTigre's recommendation for assassin snails, if you really don't want pond snails in your tank. They're great at getting rid of them, and they can do so very quickly. As noted, though, they will kill ANY kind of snail, not just the ones you may not want. If you don't have other types of snails, though, they work well at getting rid of undesirable snails. Be prepared to feed them properly when they've annihilated the pond snails, though, or they'll die. When I had assassins in one of my tanks, I kept pond snails well fed in one of my other tanks and would harvest them regularly to move to the tank with the assassin snails.

• Thanks 1