dream tank

Lemon

what your dream tank list the tank tank material, dimensions, gallons, filters, other equipment, stocking, hardscape, plants,

okay here's mine dimensions

plywood/acrylic 

FT12x4x4

gallons 1400ish

filters a 360(IN96x30x30) gallon sump that I could use to hold fry 

other equipment aqua logic inline heater, a closed loop style thing for flow, shop lights so I can have dim light near the bottom hopefully making it look like a deep lake 

lake Tanganyika fish/inverts

Neothauma tanganyicense(the kind of snail that the shell dwellers use there shell)

50-100 multis 

10-20 simulus 

10-20 gold occellatus

other shell dwellers that I don't know of  

30? Tropheus Brichardi

6 pairs? Neolamprologus Brichardi

6 pairs? Neolamprologus leleupi

10 trios? Julidochromis marlieri

150 Cyprichromis 

Synodontis catfish

hardscape we have a lot of massive grey/white rocks around our farm so i would use those and different sizes to make caves and crevices 

no plants except for in the sump 

btw I did almost no research when coming up with the stock list 

and I know it would cost a fortune to stock 

Okay I heres mine:

700-800 Gallon Custom Aquarium

-180 Gallon Sump (so in total roughly 1000 gallons)

-And I haven't exactly stocking would be....

Option 1

Amazonian Biotope

-Altum Angels, Uaru, Discus, Sevrum, Rummynose, other amazoian fish

-No plants the Uaru and sevrums will tear them apart

Option 2

Schoaling Aquarium

-100 Corydoras, -Clownloaches, -75-100 Rainbow Fish, Rummynose Tetra or Silvertip Tetra

-Big center peice wood, not sure what plants

Option 3

a Mbu Puffer 

-a Minni Murphy, Cardinal Tetras, Dwarf Gourami, etc.

-Valisenaria, amazon swords, etc.

Theres a chance I would do all three options over the course of several years. Kind of like Corys 800 gallon, he's always switiching it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Black said:

Okay I heres mine:

700-800 Gallon Custom Aquarium

-180 Gallon Sump (so in total roughly 1000 gallons)

-And I haven't exactly stocking would be....

Option 1

Amazonian Biotope

-Altum Angels, Uaru, Discus, Sevrum, Rummynose, other amazoian fish

-No plants the Uaru and sevrums will tear them apart

Option 2

Schoaling Aquarium

-100 Corydoras, -Clownloaches, -75-100 Rainbow Fish, Rummynose Tetra or Silvertip Tetra

-Big center peice wood, not sure what plants

Option 3

a Mbu Puffer 

-a Minni Murphy, Cardinal Tetras, Dwarf Gourami, etc.

-Valisenaria, amazon swords, etc.

Theres a chance I would do all three options over the course of several years. Kind of like Corys 800 gallon, he's always switiching it up.

i think option 2 would be cool large groups of fish are so much more interesting than having different types of fish in smaller groups 

• Like 1

I live in the Chesapeake Bay region and I recently started dreaming about doing a biotope tank from our local Chester River.

I’d have to work with a local ecologist to get the right fish, but this list has given me some good ideas:

https://www.chesapeakebay.net/discover/field-guide/all/fish/estuarine_fish

I don’t think I’d want to have more than a 150 gallon so I’d be keeping with small fish. Maybe...

• Gobies
  • Pipefish
  • Skilletfish
  • Striped killifish
  • Sticklebacks
  • Blennies

I would love to have an oyster reef on one side of the tank and grassy plants on the other for the pipefish to live in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I live in the Chesapeake Bay region and I recently started dreaming about doing a biotope tank from our local Chester River.

I’d have to work with a local ecologist to get the right fish, but this list has given me some good ideas:

https://www.chesapeakebay.net/discover/field-guide/all/fish/estuarine_fish

I don’t think I’d want to have more than a 150 gallon so I’d be keeping with small fish. Maybe...

• Gobies
  • Pipefish
  • Skilletfish
  • Striped killifish
  • Sticklebacks
  • Blennies

I would love to have an oyster reef on one side of the tank and grassy plants on the other for the pipefish to live in.

would this be like a saltwater display refugium?

1 hour ago, Patrick_G said:

I was going to say a nice square 75gal 360 degree rimless nature scape, but then I remembered the topic is dream tank so this one would do nicely. 

I might scape it a little differently and maybe different stocking, but the tank is  perfect. 

9F579608-0BFF-46BB-A3C3-0A91001ABC08.jpeg

1A36F4C9-8DED-46A9-8B87-82E2CC8923ED.jpeg

20E5F64A-2D9A-465A-8910-37C839087838.jpeg

there is a youtube video by tank tested on that tank. Its litterley so gourgoues! That ones really cool too, something I will HAVE TO do

• Like 1

This would be a pretty penny, but since we are dreaming, I can afford it and I won't have to do any digging or DIY stuff. An 800 gallon, partially buried, pre-made outdoor goldfish pond (they do make these). I'd have about 15 or so large goldfish in there. The pump would have an attachment that detoured some water through a tube and fancy faucet into a second, 60 gallon summer tub where i could keep guppies, shrimp, lots of plants, and grow duckweed for the goldfish.  That second tub would then empty back into the main pond system. I guess not many plants in the pond, but lots of plants and flowers in the seating area around it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

This would be a pretty penny, but since we are dreaming, I can afford it and I won't have to do any digging or DIY stuff. An 800 gallon, partially buried, pre-made outdoor goldfish pond (they do make these). I'd have about 15 or so large goldfish in there. The pump would have an attachment that detoured some water through a tube and fancy faucet into a second, 60 gallon summer tub where i could keep guppies, shrimp, lots of plants, and grow duckweed for the goldfish.  That second tub would then empty back into the main pond system. I guess not many plants in the pond, but lots of plants and flowers in the seating area around it. 

Years ago, when I was in the hobby last time, I had the same dream. I had the land, a tractor with a bucket on it to make the pond and the money to pull it off. But other things ended up taking priority. Mine was going to be built into an embankment with a glass front so you could look at it from above or below the water like the penguin enclosure at the zoo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ken said:

Mine was going to be built into an embankment with a glass front so you could look at it from above or below the water like the penguin enclosure at the zoo.

One of my dream aquariums would be one I can swim in.  Decades ago I passed through a small Indiana town where the city pool was as you described. Theirs had short flight of stairs into a cave-like tunnel alongside the pool. It would have been so much better as an aquarium

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll do this one day. Mangrove saltwater lagoon with corals and macroalgae in an attached greenhouse. Probably homemade tank made of plywood, with glass viewing panes. It would be in roughly a U shape around a raised deck area in the middle, and would have rock formations and sand bars, making the edge of the tank appear irregular and natural. Probably several hundred gallons at least, heated by a solar hot water system on a thermostat with a heat exchanger. 

O.k. quirkylemon103 I know you've seen mine being posted but at the off chance anyone else hasn't I'll post the link:

I know it's not the 1,000 gallon monster I dreamt of in my younger years, and I have kept much larger tanks than this one before, but it is my dream of a small peaceful piece of jungle that brightens up my living room, especially in the winter, with a maintenance effort that is quite manageable to handle and more therapeutic than stress.