Air pump size suggestion for 7 sponge filters

Jmcloonan

TLDR: 7 large sponge filters. Two at a somewhat deep level and two very shallow that can run on the slow side. 

Hey y’all,

I stumbled on the Aquarium Co-op YouTube channel two months ago and got bit by the freshwater bug again. I currently have a 46 bow front full of every loach I can get my hands on and some tetras. I just purchased a 150 gallon and will be building a stand next week. My intention is to run a total of 7 large sponge filters. To start right away I’ll have two in the 150 (at approximately 26” of water depth) and one in my 46 bow front. Eventually I’ll add two 29gal tanks under the 150 and I’ll have up to two 10gal quarantine tanks (running large so I can use seasoned sponges from another tank). I have two Biowheel 350s (sorry Cory) that are full of sponge blocks with prefilter sponge on them (thanks Cory) for the 150 as well. 

So, 7 large sponge filters. Two at a somewhat deep level and two very shallow that can run on the slow side. I attached a quick drawing, please roast it. Other pic is my 46 in its current state  

Whisper 150? Add a second when my 29’s are up and running? Whisper 300? Your suggestions are much appreciated. 

07F10BD5-94DE-4D79-BCD6-96FAC43C1AA8.jpeg

A63D0221-80E5-4167-95A5-20807371F9B9.jpeg

Edited by Jmcloonan

Not sure of what size to use, but one thing to keep in mind is that the length of tubing will make a huge difference. In my experience I have been able to run 3 filters off of a medium sized pump if the tubes are short enough, but put that same pump up to my 40 gallon where it has to sit on the floor and it struggles with the one filter.

• Thanks 1

My intention was to possibly run that air pump in the basement with a total of 10 feet leading up to the tank area. The tanks are in my living room so droning air pump noise would not be preferred. I could always make a soundproof/ventilated box for them. 

Also in this current setup I will not be adding any more tanks, at least not anything big. I’m not opposed to blowing money on a linear piston pump but it seems like those are much bigger than I need right now. 

I think a linear air piston pump is a little overkill for your setup unless you are planning to add a lot more tanks in the future. I'm running about 8  sponges off of this one right now and its rated for 45 L/mn.

293155830_airpump.jpg.bdd36912895ca5554c10b36cec3022ed.jpg

I even attached three more sponges just to see if it could handle it and I haven't notice any struggling. I will mention I have shallow tanks (10-20 gallons) so I'm dealing with less head pressure.

I would recommend a pump like this, Ive seen a lot go for around 20-30 bucks. I will mention the pump isn't that quiet, its not unbearable but you can  definitely hear it vibrate.

If you have time to shop around, go check flea markets I bought three of these for like a buck each

Edited by Koi

Thanks Koi,

That looks like a solid option. I’ll look that one up tonight. The pump will be directly below in the basement so sound should be fine. 

Is there a larger size check valve that people are using for these bigger pumps? Mounting this above the tank isn’t much of an option. 

Edited by Jmcloonan

As long as the airlines are held above the height of the tank it won’t siphon if your power cuts off.

Edited by Koi
I realized drip loop is probably not the right term so I took it out
  • Thanks 1

An air piston pump is WAY WAY WAY too much for this.  Im running 2 sponge filters in a 10 gallon with a Tetra whisper 10 pump. 2.2 watts of power used.  You could get 2 Danner AP-8 and call it a day.  I wouldnt do a piston pump until I had 20 tanks or 10 with crazy amounts of air.

Edited by tekjunkie28

I'm running 10 sponge filters off a whisper 60. Each side goes to a 4 outlet gang valve and some of the lines off that are split with a T and inline valves. 

The tanks are not any deeper than 20 gallon high, but the point is you can do alot with a modest amount of air. A larger whisper (or similar) pump will likely be all you need. 

• Like 1