College 10 Gallon

FoughtWand

Hey guys so I am looking to stock my 10 gallon with fish that would be easy to take home with me (3 hr drive) when I go home for long breaks like summer or winter break. I have thought about shrimp but figured trying to catch them all when I need to go home would be a pain . I also thought of King Betta or normal betta but was wondering what other fish option there are.

Something that is generally sturdy like guppies, endlers, platys. Just take care to keep only males or only females, unless you want to plan for many, many babies. I do not recommend some of the fancier guppies as they can be sensitive. You could also go with mountain cloud minnows. 

Obviously fish aren't "designed" for travel, but if its just for the long summer and winter breaks, I think they would be ok. That's only four of those 3hr transports a year.

for easy of transport, are you driving yourself or taking a train/public transport? 

Bettas are the easiest to move, but a 10g is kinda easy to carry if you didn't drain it all the way you would just want to be careful you didn't crack the tank. 

Id recommend a fish that does not require a heater (long fin white clouds are a good college fish) less outlets to worry about. or you can get a crayfish if you like shrimp, that way its just one to catch instead of 10000

9 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

for easy of transport, are you driving yourself or taking a train/public transport? 

Bettas are the easiest to move, but a 10g is kinda easy to carry if you didn't drain it all the way you would just want to be careful you didn't crack the tank. 

Id recommend a fish that does not require a heater (long fin white clouds are a good college fish) less outlets to worry about. or you can get a crayfish if you like shrimp, that way its just one to catch instead of 10000

I would be driving myself but i think like most people have mentioned a betta would be easiest.

8 hours ago, CT_ said:

In case you haven't thought about it, another option might be to setup an auto feeder over the breaks and maybe grow duckweed to take care of some of the nitrogen for the two weeks.

Yea I did think about it but my roommate did that with his aquarium over winter break and he came back with half of the aquarium water gone and his whole tank started recycling and killed most of his fish.

• Sad 1