FrozenFins

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE angelfish. 

I came across this article explaing the recessive and dominant genes of an angelfish. Keep in mind that when breeding angelfish this isn't a must have information all though it can be very helpful when trying to breed a desired trait for an angelfish.

This a very interesting read and I reccemend it to any nerm that likes sience or biology. 

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/How-to-keep-Angelfish-Tropical-Tank-Set-Up 

Here are the  recessive and dominant genes in a angelfish:

Common Phenotype Genetic Symbol

Domestic Silver

+

Dark

D

Marble

M

Gold Marbled

Gm

Gold

g

Zebra

Z

Sripeless

S

Smokey

Sm

Veiled

V

Streaked

St

Pearlscale

P

Albino

a

a Capitol letter being a dominot gene and lowercase being a recessive gene. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Black said:

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE angelfish. 

I came across this article explaing the recessive and dominant genes of an angelfish. Keep in mind that when breeding angelfish this isn't a must have information all though it can be very helpful when trying to breed a desired trait for an angelfish.

This a very interesting read and I reccemend it to any nerm that likes sience or biology. 

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/How-to-keep-Angelfish-Tropical-Tank-Set-Up 

Here are the  recessive and dominant genes in a angelfish:

Common Phenotype Genetic Symbol

Domestic Silver

+

Dark

D

Marble

M

Gold Marbled

Gm

Gold

g

Zebra

Z

Sripeless

S

Smokey

Sm

Veiled

V

Streaked

St

Pearlscale

P

Albino

a

a Capitol letter being a dominot gene and lowercase being a recessive gene. 

I want to grow some Pinoy Paraiba Angelfish, let them pair off, and then let the pair lay and take care of the fry themselves instead of me pulling the eggs, how long do you think it would take for them to figure out how to parent.

4 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

I want to grow some Pinoy Paraiba Angelfish, let them pair off, and then let the pair lay and take care of the fry themselves instead of me pulling the eggs, how long do you think it would take for them to figure out how to parent.

give them a few tries and they should learn to parent there fry well. I would suggest that if you are breeding for profit that you remove the eggs. Master Breeder Dean has said that you will always get the best survival rate if you decide to take out the eggs.

10 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

Right, but I kind of want to angelfish take care of their own fry. I'm only going to pull the eggs if they won't stop eating them or if I get the satisfaction of watching my apistos take care of their babies then I may pull. Is 12 angels to many for a 90 gallon? They be the only fish in there.

Nope 12 angels is fine in a 90 gallon. You will probably get 2-3 pairs. Yes angels can take care of there own fry but it may take a few times before they can be good parents. They may also eat the eggs if there is other angels in the tank or other fish. As they mays see the fish as threat to the eggs.

So I should separate a pair in a 20 (high)-29 gallon for them to take care of their own fry. Should I leave it bare bottom if I want them to take care of the fry? Or would be easier to have gravel. By the way thank you for all this information and your time! I couldn't really find anything online about allowing the angelfish raise there fry.

45 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

So I should separate a pair in a 20 (high)-29 gallon for them to take care of their own fry. Should I leave it bare bottom if I want them to take care of the fry? Or would be easier to have gravel. By the way thank you for all this information and your time! I couldn't really find anything online about allowing the angelfish raise there fry.

I keep the pairs in a bair bottom 20 gallon high aquarium with a breeders slate (really its just a flat slate for the angelfish to lay there eggs on)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

I have had angels that get it figured out after a couple batches of eggs, and others that have laid many times and never figured it out. When I was raising quite a bit of angelfish, I would leave the eggs with the parents three times, if they hadn't figured it out by the third time I would just pull the eggs and raise myself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have had angels that get it figured out after a couple batches of eggs, and others that have laid many times and never figured it out. When I was raising quite a bit of angelfish, I would leave the eggs with the parents three times, if they hadn't figured it out by the third time I would just pull the eggs and raise myself. 

Have you ever waited for them to figure it out past 3 times? If you have what is the average amount of times it takes for them to figure it out and what is some promising things I should look for, when looking for good parents?