LFS Limit on buying fish?

CT_

Has anyone seen this?  I was at the LFS and the only fish in the shop that had a limit was the oto's, they had a "limit 3" written next to them.  I found this especially odd since you're supposed to have 6+ right?  

Yeah I thought the same thing.  Do they act different 3 vs 6?  I get the sense that a lot of online fish profile page comes from kind of simple thinking, like wild shoaling always equals 6.

Edited by CT_

I have a large school of Rummy nose tetras. They jump in with the school once in a while and hitch a ride. Otherwise 2 of them are nearly always side by side, while the other is more independent and comes and goes on his own errands.

Edited by Brandy
(not literally hitch a ride--just swim along)

6 may be ideal but less is fine, they may just not be as visible. I agree they should raise the price. Plus while 6 may be ideal for their behavior, if the tank can't support all of them, they will starve. I wouldn't stick 6 in a small 10g or 20g tank.

• Administrators

We never recommend 6+. Most people don't have enough algae to feed even 3, and then struggle to keep them long term. Outside of very large systems. You can debate all day if 1, vs 3, vs 6 vs 2000 feel more safe... But when it comes to food. That 55 gallon tank or smaller, can barely support one food wise naturally.

1 minute ago, Cory said:

We never recommend 6+. Most people don't have enough algae to feed even 3, and then struggle to keep them long term. Outside of very large systems. You can debate all day if 1, vs 3, vs 6 vs 2000 feel more safe... But when it comes to food. That 55 gallon tank or smaller, can barely support one food wise naturally.

how many would you do in a 20 long? can I extend the lighting period to grow more algae for them?

Just now, AdamTill said:

The limit is purely because supply is limited, not for the benefit of the fish. They act very differently in large groups (I like 20+), but are okay in smaller groups too (or don’t die, anyway)

I just pulled 15 or so out of my 29. The tank gets Soilent Green every few days, and veggies once a week or so. There were also 30 habrosus cories in that tank.

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

how many would you do in a 20 long? can I extend the lighting period to grow more algae for them?

Whats your purpose? If it's eating algae, get a reticulated hillstream loach. If it's breeding them, then as many as you'd like as you'll be needing to get food options into them.

Hi @Cory

What would you recommend for a 14g 24" wide tank (aquatop ES-24)?  I want to keep them because I like them and my wife thinks the hillstream loach looks too creepy.  The plan is to feed them special food to make sure they're happy.  I was thinking 4-5 but now I'm thinking 3? 

3 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

2 hours ago, CT_ said:

Hi @Cory

What would you recommend for a 14g 24" wide tank (aquatop ES-24)?  I want to keep them because I like them and my wife thinks the hillstream loach looks too creepy.  The plan is to feed them special food to make sure they're happy.  I was thinking 4-5 but now I'm thinking 3? 

My 3 are in a heavily planted 29g with a lot of driftwood. I tried upping the lighting and I grew algae, but not the kind they like, so I just created a new problem.

Luckily mine like cucmbers and green beans. At some point I will try them on repashy, but for now I just put the ends of every cucmber I eat in the tank and they have stayed fat and healthy.

However, I would say greater density than 1/10g is just asking for trouble food wise. I have had the tank up and running for 8 months and have literally never had to clean the glass, which SOUNDS great, but means they do not have enough to eat. I worry about feeding them more than any other fish, even the pea puffers.

• Like 1