Kinda new, kinda not. I kept fish in my college days some 20 years ago with decent success. My best fish were a pair of Oscars in my 55. They grew up and grew old together. Loved those fish. But with work and kids I just didn't have time for it anymore. Now I've started up again since my kids are interested and I have a little more time now. I currently have 6 Colombian Blue Tetras, 4 Glo Tetras, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches, 3 Bronze Corys, and 1 Chocolate Bristlenose Pleco. Oh, and a herd of Trumpet snails (although the loaches have been reducing that population!). Looking to add that one, big showpiece fish and have narrowed it down to four: an Electric Blue Acara, an Angelfish of some sort,  a Pearl Gourami, or a Geophaugus Tapajos. (I've wouldn't mind a Flag Cichlid, but never seen one in the local stores). That will be the only big fish with only the bigger Tetras and bottom fish to keep it company so I don't expect aggression to be an issue. Any advice/recommendations?

I had an electric blue Jack Dempsey who was lovely, but I didn't do enough research and so failed to realize they were really a crap shoot for health. Was fine and then just slowly declined. I quarantined him but didn't help. So I want to get a much more hardy fish that will get large and be the eye-catcher. I love Angels and would love one, but wife doesn't like angels and daughter wants something blue. hence the Acara. I'm really excited to introduce one to the tank and see him grow up.

I have had my EBA for about a month and a half and I LOOOVE them. I have 3 in a 40 breeder with the expectation that I would rehome one or 2 as they grow out.

I lucked out with a pair, who have spawned for the first time yesterday--despite the third wheel, despite the mutt guppy dither fish I tossed in. So far they don't appear to have lost any eggs and are being very diligent parents. I expected them to need to get bigger, but apparently 3 inches is big enough.

Now I really will need to rehome the third wheel (though I may just move him/her into another tank to keep growing) and develop a plan for possible offspring. They are a gorgeous, high personality, human-interactive fish that still isn't excessively agressive to tank mates. I could not have chosen better. My angelfish is much more of a thug.

• Like 2