Please Help!! Crayfish Claw issue!!!

Malakaiea

So originally I posted about my crawfish having molted and one of her claws having been stuck I was told to let her chill and get it off herself but now she picked off some of it and her meat or flesh or whatever is showing!!! Should I continue to leave her be?? I tried to help her in the beginning BUT she was WAYYYYYY to stressed to let me near her I feel I will for sure stress her to death if I even attempt to help her remove this....

First photo is hours after her molt second is today!

139743968_879077276187875_4161485223330917013_n.jpg

141593109_1075961889826787_5342351141853022520_n.jpg

Edited by Malakaiea

I would actually leave it still as previously recommend and 110% use salt. They are quite salt tolerant (here on Australia we have them on mass in dams rivers streams lakes etc everywhere) some places are actually quite saline. 

I'd add aquarium coops Precautionary salt treatment just to help prevent any infection. The extra minerals may even help the shed. 

• 2 weeks later...

@KoolFish97Hi so Toast was able to get the claw off and now has a little nub its adorable and I added salt to her tank as it said on the blog you linked but how can I tell her flesh on the nub is or isnt infected I am keeping an eye on her behavior and it's normal but parts of it are black though I assume that could be normal scabbing or hardening of it?

• Like 1

Keep in mind that you want to investigate the cause of this molting issue too. Molting problems can sometimes be a sign of calcium being too low; then again, it could just be a fluke. I am not a crayfish expert by any means, but just something to think about in order to try and prevent it in the future.

Btw I love your love of inverts! ❤ I, too, am an invert lover. 

• Like 1

@Kat_Rigel Yes I am hoping it was a fluke because I have a few different rocks in her tank that are meant to give extra calcium and I use Aqueon Shrimp Minerals every water change so I can put back important minerals for her but maybe I will get some wonder shells for her as well. I just worry if there's a way to over calcify the tank too.