55 gallon, well established tank.Lighting: 'Edge' light -6 hrs daily. 5 squirts of Easy Green weekly.  Weekly water changes including gravel vac on weekends....I  replace some water mid week.Bunch plants  do ok. Only the Anubias and Java Fern has black spots which do not rub off!  I realize it is due to their slow growth. My water is hard although I have a thriving school of cardinal tetras.   I have 4 Panda garas and 2 amano shrimp  that apparently don't like the black algae. I am looking for a way to get rid of the black spots. Will ottos eat black algae?  What can I do to get rid of it? Thanks All!

I

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

Edited by Ohio FishPlant Dude

Plant need a minimum of 8hour of lighting a day to much or not enough lighting can encourage algae  with not enough lighting period of photosynthesis is reduced meaning the plant use up less nutrients from your fertilizer which can lead to algae problems

Edited by Colu

• Administrators

You're totally right, it's because they grow so slowly. I've found the easiest long term solution to keeping Anubias leaves algae free is either lots of snails like nerite snails or keeping it under shade from other plants or decor and out of direct light. Maybe otos would eat it depending on what type of algae it is.

Thanks all...Perhaps it is brown algae, I've had bba before and it was hairy and grew on the edges of leaves, as stated. I increased my water changes, changed my light and cleaned my filters to get rid of it.

Maybe it is brown algae that only grows on the anubias  and java ferns.It is hard and impossible to rub off or remove!

The lazy, greedy Panda garas/ amanos  prefer to eat fish food and really don't do much to eat algae! What a disappointment!

I do not want to use chemicals, so I will purchase some ottos again, although I have trouble keeping them alive. Any other recommendations for hardy fish that will eat this ugly algae? Nerite snails leave ugly white eggs everywhere, so I don't care for them.

Is 6 hours of  lighting enough for plants? I have green spot algae on the glass sides.

If your algae eaters are going after fish food instead of algae you can cut back on feeding. I skip feeding one day a week to encourage scavenging and algae grazing. I know there are others on here that also advocate fasting fish to encourage scavenging and grazing as well. 

Most well fed fish can go longer than a week without feeding, and even longer when the have food sources like algae or they can scavenge for food they've missed previously. 

Thank you,Chef ...I feed twice daily because my 'cherished' cardinal tetras have sunken -in bellies if I don't! The other inhabitants are pigs(ember tetras /cherry barbs are very greedy eaters) and often eat all the food before the somewhat timid cardinals get to it. Perhaps my cardinals are tougher than I realize...cutting down feedings will lesson the  algae food source too. I just don't want to risk my cardinals' vigor. And I am afraid that the barbs will start eating my softer bunch plants like pennywort!

Meanwhile,i'm planning to add ottos to handle that ugly  algae on the anubias  leaves.

Is 6 hours of light too little for plant growth? My timer is set 5pm-11pm so I can view my fish!