Are the Petco Aqueon tanks a bad product?

Janelle

• 3 years later...

Old post, but....the sale is here again. I purchased a 40 breeder last sale. Filled it, it leaked. I contacted Aqueon. Sent them all the purchase info, pics of my stand and a picture of the sticker on the bottom corner. They refunded me. I resealed the area that was leaking. Its been a year now and its been fine.

Time to buy a few more? 🙂

Posted (edited)
On 1/17/2021 at 9:32 PM, Janelle said:

Here are a couple questions and concerns...

• Picture #1 - Why is this glop of silicone like this under each corner of the rim of the tank, and can I remove it?  Not sure if its because this tank is mass produced or if provides a function.
  • Picture #2 - The silicone is oozing out of where the glass meets on the outside edge of the tank.  Can I razor blade the bead of silicone flush with the glass?
  • Picture #3 - This wide silicone smear on the inside corner - is this going to look terrible when the tank is full of water or will it disappear?
  • Picture #4 - A few silicone edges inside the tank were not feathered out.  Will this thick edge be prone lifting or lead to a future leak?  Can you razor blade that off to where the silicone was feathered out?

I helped a new hobbyist with their tank purchase from petco and it was surprisingly challenging to really explain to them what to look for and make it a clear and concise issue.  They ended up sending me photos and I took a few seconds and reviewed it with them.

Essentially, the tanks are fine, but much like everything else what happens before the tank gets from Aqueon --> you is a major issue in some stores.  Some stores store things correctly, others will use them to build forts!  It's a bit ridiculous and so I would absolutely suggest things like verifying things in the store, check that the silicone is undamaged, leak tests, and all of these things can be done within the time of purchase and you can always still obtain that sale price on the tank itself.

I have a 75G aqueon tank and it was something I didn't take lightly because that's a TON of water.  I have gotten all of my tanks from petco and it's been something that I view as *the best thing* to get people into the hobby because of that affordability.  If you want a "nice" tank, check out marineland.  They do silicone well and the tanks generally are pretty beautiful.  Lids aren't easily available and there are other issues with just general cost/availability of replacements, but that would be my other go-to.

Seams:  Check that they are not coming off the glass, that they are not scratched/damages and clearly have been abused.  Especially on the bottom pane of glass, check that they bonded correctly.  You can actually see a shift in opacity when the silicone starts to pull off as well as feel it.

Also, understand that based on the size of tank, you have a different type of warranty.  If you're buying a 10G as opposed to a 60 breeder, you have a much different quality of care compared to other things.

Picture 1 - It's there from when they pressed the rim onto the glass.  You won't ever see it, but it's there.
Picture 2 - Often, yes.
Picture 3 - Likely won't ever been seen.
Picture 4 - No!  This would often cause more damage than it would fix anything.  I agree that the large bulbous edges on some of the beads would be prone to pulling off, but as long as they are bonded, then you should be fine.  This happens a lot on the base of the tank, covered in substrate, you'll never see it and it won't ever be touched.  Know your tank, be aware of that when scraping algae.  This also will let algae grow in a very annoying spot, esp. bba.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:22 PM, cuppicake said:

Old post, but....the sale is here again. I purchased a 40 breeder last sale. Filled it, it leaked. I contacted Aqueon. Sent them all the purchase info, pics of my stand and a picture of the sticker on the bottom corner. They refunded me. I resealed the area that was leaking. Its been a year now and its been fine.

Time to buy a few more? 🙂

You can also just contact the store itself and tell them it leaked, if it's within the first 14-30 days (Not sure the specific window)

I had one I purchased, set it all up, then I noticed a huge scratch on the front glass and returned it.  It was a pretty deep cut from someone moving tanks or cutting the boxes and a blade went across it. 

Definitely feel free to go get more tanks, the new 60's are beautiful.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

They're fine, just sloppy and mass produced. Just fill test. 

Other tanks are nicer. Thicker glass. Mildly clearer. Clean beads of silicone. They cost more though. 

They both hold water though.

On 6/3/2024 at 11:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can also just contact the store itself and tell them it leaked, if it's within the first 14-30 days (Not sure the specific window)

Its 30 days. I had mine just a few days after the 30 day window when I finally got around to filling it. I basically got an almost free tank out of it tho, just the price of new silicone. 

On 6/3/2024 at 11:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely feel free to go get more tanks, the new 60's are beautiful.

OMG hahaha. I had my husband pick them up for me....the 29 gallon was cracked. 🤣

• Haha 1