Is a blue-eyed red/albino guppy something special?

redmare

I got some free guppies to add to my growing tank addiction and I've fallen crazy in love with them! There's a male and female in the group with blue eyes and they're just stunning. A quick google search of "blue eye red guppy" and "red guppy with blue eyes" gave me pretty much nothing so I was wondering... any chance this is actually something quite special that I should dedicate a breeding project to??

I apologize that these photos are no good... they absolutely do not do them justice. The blue eye especially on the girl is like a lampeye killifish, and the male has quite the impressive dorsal. Both are iridescent under the right light, too! One of my week-old fry also has blue eyes so I'm hoping she's similar.  

IMG_3864.jpgIMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

Edited by redmare
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kriskm said:

Those are really pretty! You should separate them from the rest (great excuse for another tank) and try starting a new strain. 

I think I'm gonna give that a shot! I think it would be so fun to get a strain going. There also seems to be a huge void of guppy breeders in Canada.... side hustle to get me through university??

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lefty o said:

if he's the only male in the tank, you're golden. she looks pregnant already, so if he isnt the only male, who knows what kind of mix you'll get. worth a shot though, as those are nice looking fish.

They came from a tank full of free guppies my mom found while buying a couch so... who knows what. I've got a mixed tank right now but I'm pretty sure once she has the babies I'll put them together and see what I can do as far as making something out of them!

Albinism is a trait that's bred into a line. My suspicion is your blue eye guppy is simply a descendant of the original gene line that the albinos emerged from. Guppies tend not to breed true 100% of the time and the traits of older generations re-emerge in some of the kids/grandkids. Whoever created your albino line of guppies likely started with guppies that look like what you've got now and found an albino and then bred for that characteristic, culling out the ones with pigmented eyes. You may just be recreating the original strain that the first albino emerged from. They're still a beautiful fish, but my suspicion is this is just a reversion to an earlier genetic form of the albino guppy before it became an albino line.

• Like 1