Snail Culling

Odd Alan

Greetings,

I bought some Kuhli Loaches last November along with a couple if stowaways(snails). Now things have reached a point where I'm considering "snail culling"...

Tank 1: 40 gallons

(2) Pearl Gouramis

(15) Harlequin Rasboras

(10) Kuhli Loaches

(9) Amano Shrimp

Tank 2: 10 gallons

Cycled, "was empty"

I've been collecting snails during water changes an putting them into the 10 gallon tank... so far these are the ideas I've come up with:

* Assassin Snails for both tanks

* A "social number" of YoYo Loaches for the 40 gallon(bad idea because of the Amano Shrimp?)

* A Pea Puffer for the 10 gallon tank

Ideas?

-Alan

assassins are my favorite. id start with 2 assassins for each tank, and see what happens with the snail population. if its still too large, it is easy enough to get a few more killer snails. if your pest snail population is really out of control, it may take 6,8, or even 10 assassins to get things in line. upside is, assassins breed very slowly, so they likely will never be a problem, and you can just pull them out if they do too good of a job.

fastest collection is a slice of cucumber. I got pea puffers and they are too slow to eat all my snails and so far like the baby snails best. I got some juvenile acaras and they have demolished snails handfulls at a time, size irrelevant. 

• Like 1

So recently I bought a snail trap like this on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/UEETEK-Plastic-Catcher-Snail-Aquarium/dp/B07969JZ25/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=snail+trap+aquarium&qid=1609792285&sr=8-4 ) and have overall been well pleased.  Its fairly easy to use and remove.  Word of advise, pick prime shipping if you can.  Before I chose an option that was cheaper and free shipment.  I ordered it initially in March and it just arrived to my home mid-December from China.  To be perfectly honest, I had forgotten I ordered it.

I think the Coop use to sell a snail catcher, but I am not sure if they do anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

So recently I bought a snail trap like this on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/UEETEK-Plastic-Catcher-Snail-Aquarium/dp/B07969JZ25/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=snail+trap+aquarium&qid=1609792285&sr=8-4 ) and have overall been well pleased.  Its fairly easy to use and remove.  Word of advise, pick prime shipping if you can.  Before I chose an option that was cheaper and free shipment.  I ordered it initially in March and it just arrived to my home mid-December from China.  To be perfectly honest, I had forgotten I ordered it.

I think the Coop use to sell a snail catcher, but I am not sure if they do anymore. 

co-op does sell a snail catcher, it is currently out of stock.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone!

I will probably put (2) Assassin Snails in the 40gal and a Pea Puffer in the 10gal(been wanting one ever since reading the Co-Op Blog).

Discovered a Red Shrimp fry in the 10gal yesterday... no idea where it came from unless Amano Shrimp fry are red? Anyway, "culling" project is on the back burning for now.

14 hours ago, lefty o said:

co-op does sell a snail catcher, it is currently out of stock.

The Coop apparently used to sell a different kind, an actual trap that you baited with food. I saw a video on YouTube from someone who received one from the Coop and did a review of it (it might have been Jason from Prime Time Aquatics). He pulled it out the next day and it was literally covered with snails. I thought it was a great idea but it looked like it might also trap small shrimp and baby fish.