More newbie tank questions

Janelle

I am looking at getting a 75 gal glass tank in the next month or so.  This would be my 2nd tank - my 1st one a 15 gal just completed its cycle.  Is this going to be too big of a jump for a newbie?  I don't know if bigger means I need more experience.

I was going to go with a glass tank, and regardless of the size I end up with I am wondering if I need to do anything additional to the bare tank before I add water to it.  (e.g., reinforce w/ additional silicone)  I jumped in blind to my child's 15 gal 😆 and I want to make sure I set this larger tank up correctly from the start.  

And lastly a question about stands.  I realize if I go with a 75 gal the total weight of the tank could be close to 900 lbs.  What are your favorite types of stands to use?  I want something that is furniture quality as the tank will be in my front room with my piano.  Do I have to you use an official aquarium stand?  If I want to buy a piece of quality furniture, (not Ikea stye) what should I look for to make sure it will hold all the weight?

Thank you fish friends!

good thing about a larger aquarium is that once it is up and running, it is generally easier to take care of than a smaller tank. 2 things i would look at for a tank stand, one that it is structurally sound to support the required weight long term, and 2 that a little water wont destroy it. most particle board junk will quickly be ruined by minor water drops on it.

75 gallons is just -bigger.  You are going to love it.  The tank should not require any alterations. 

I do have 3 suggestions before you add water: 

• make sure that whatever stand you use is level in both directions.
  • Make sure that the setup is exactly where you want it and electricity is accessible.
  • A 2' step ladder with rubber feet makes maintenance easier.  The top rim of your tank  on a "furniture" height stand could easily be 50" 

I realize that these are common sense things, but unlike the 15 gallon, it could take hours to correct on the larger tank.  Enjoy!

I like your idea of using furniture instead of a purpose built stand.  I have a 20 long on a file cabinet, two 5.5's end-to-end at the end of my desk, and a 10 gallon on a small chest of drawers, and my daughter-in-law next door has a 55 on a sideboard.  They're all working well.  Well-built used furniture can usually be bought inexpensively (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc), but the points to consider when using furniture are:

• It should be solid wood, not particle board, MDF, or similar products.
  • The top of the furniture should be larger than the footprint of the tank in both directions, but not much larger.  Ideally not more than 2" on any side.  This assures the tank will be supported on all four corners, but the weight won't be concentrated away from the legs or sides of the furniture, causing it to sag in the middle.
  • The supports for the furniture should be all the way out on or near the corners, and extend all the way up to the top, or at least there should be continuous load-bearing wood from the floor to the top on the corners.
  • In a couple of cases I've cut a piece of 3/4" thick plywood the same size as the top of the furniture, rounded off the top edges (mostly just to make it look better), and painted it black, then put it under the tank to help spread out the weight on the furniture, but it probably wasn't necessary.