Green scrub pad...interior glass cleaning

FishyJames

I have used green scrub pads to scrub the interior glass walls for ages.  Have any of you used the co-op algae scrubber sponge?  Or any other melamine type sponge?  Does it work better?  

What have you found works best that I may not be aware of?  So far, a new green scrubby works the best for me.

Happy aquariuming 

Edited by FishyJames
Better describe

21 minutes ago, FishyJames said:

I have used green scrub pads to scrub the interior glass walls for ages.  Have any of you used the co-op algae scrubber sponge?  Or any other melamine type sponge?  Does it work better?  

What have you found works best that I may not be aware of?  So far, a new green scrubby works the best for me.

Happy aquariuming 

I have the Co-op sponge and it is FANTASTIC. I had a lot of stubborn diatom/brown algae on the glass and my mag-fliat scraper wouldn't touch it. The algae sponge does not require  a lot of effort or elbow grease, it just does it's thing. And at only 99 cents, it's hard to go wrong. I actually cut strips of the sponge in order to make it last longer (because I am very cheap... also it dried faster that way.) 

I was concerned when I first got it that it might have some sort of chemicals that negatively affect the fish, but that has not been the case- snails, shrimp, fish, plants, everyone is totally fine. Definitely toss one in your cart if you are already planning to order something. 

Edit: I am referring to the melamine type sponge. Thats the one getting my praise.

Edited by Kat_Rigel
Spelling, clarification
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I pick up the generic brands of "Magic Erasers" for a dollar each at Walmart and have used them for years. Really great at getting what the Magfloat scrapers won't. 

Seconding (thirding?) this! I've been using generic melamine sponges and they're fantastic. I do the same thing as @Kat_Rigel and cut them into small strips. Makes it easier for me to keep them relatively clean and together since they can get kind of crumbly through use. Cheap and super effective on stubborn algae.

I like to toss a handful of these onto my orders from Aquarium CO-OP. I get kind of bummed out when I run out and have to use something else to clean my glass. They may not last a terrible long time, but at the price and convenience and how effective they are, they're definitely worth it. 

• Like 3

the co-ops magic eraser sponges work good on light algae. they are a little fragile, so one has to be gentle with them.  for harder to remove stuff i have an old blue scrubby sponge i use. dont know who made it or where it came from as ive had it for decades. when things are really stubborn, i use a razor blade in a holder.  with those care needs to be taken not to cut the silicone on the edges of the tanks.