Trouble with lowering PH

Jenny

Hello, I live in the Midwest and my  water is more alkaline. I have plants, American cichlids, and angel fish in my 125 gallon. Ph is normally around 8.2. I desperately want it at a 7.8 to create a thriving environment for fish and plants. I used the lower ph chemical first and it worked for 24 hrs or less. Did some more research and tried a big mesh bag of peat granules in my canister filter. That didn’t do the trick so I bought large catappa almond leaves crumbled them in a mesh bag and put in canister with peat. So, it works well but the tannin colored water is not my favorite look for my tank. I was wondering if I used a product like carbon or clearmax to clear up the tank and remove the tannins, will I also be taking away the ph lowering benefits of these products? Is it the tannins themselves that lower ph? Smart ones, please help.

First I'm curious, why do you want to lower your ph? I ask this because not being able to use straight tap water to do water changes creates extra work.

My tap water is very hard and high ph. The best way I found to lower ph is by mixing RO or distilled water with my tap water. The chemicals scare me.

The peat moss and catappa leaves will not work if you have high kh. The method mentioned above will lower kh and gh and allow those items to have more affect on ph.

Let me know if you want to try the method I mentioned, and I can give more details about what I do. Good luck!

What specific fish and plants do you want to keep that you feel won't thrive in your water as-is?  I have a wide variety thriving in my tanks, and my water is also 8.2 pH.  Fish will generally do better in pH that's slightly outside their "ideal" range than they will with it fluctuating as the fish keeper adjusts it chasing perfect conditions.

@JennyFirst don't chase pH especially with chemicals the effects don't last long and the fluctuations won't be good for the fish. I would look for locally bred fish that are used to the water conditions in your area. If you have to reduce pH adding organic matter in the form of leaves and drift wood (Mopani is dense & high in tannins) should drop your pH gradually. Also the addition of RO water will help. Walmart has RO water dispensers selling it for .39₵ a gallon. You should be able reduce your pH by a couple of points say to the 7.6-7.8 range and slightly soften your water in time and should also hold those parameters more consistently. Good luck.

14 minutes ago, Jenny said:

I am mostly worried about my angel fish. Also, I was under the impression plants do better with a lower ph. 

Here are pictures of my two largest tanks.  I think the fish and plants are doing just fine in 8.2pH water (and notice the angel in the 65).

image.png.436f690e5f1f8157627d17ca3277c0c6.png

image.png.4b0fb8982baf697c1fbb3ac61a79ac25.png

image.png

What I really wanted to know was whether carbon or clearmax filter media would take the ph lowering effects of the peat and almond leaves away since it clears tannins. I want the benefits of the lower ph without the tannin colored water. Not sure if that’s possible.

9 minutes ago, Jenny said:

What I really wanted to know was whether carbon or clearmax filter media would take the ph lowering effects of the peat and almond leaves away since it clears tannins. I want the benefits of the lower ph without the tannin colored water. Not sure if that’s possible.

I guess I owe you an apology for trying to discourage you from lowering your pH, and explaining why I didn't think it was a good idea, instead of answering your questions.  I'm afraid I can't help since since I've never tried altering my pH.  Hopefully someone else will be able to.

5 hours ago, Jenny said:

Yes. RO water is your easiest option to lower KH, which reduces pH, while keeping clear water. Another option is Seachem Acid Buffer. This product lowers KH.