Whitecloud09's 20g long aquarium journal

Posted (edited)

Yes it is time, the journal where I post everything for my 20-gallon long!!!! I bought the tank, an empty 20-gallon long Marineland tank. I ordered these items for my tank, down below. 

From aquarium coop. 

AC sponge filter.

Edit: also bought baby brine shrimp for my WCMMS, not related to this topic tho

Amazon buys,

Standard airline tubing for sponge filter.

Heater, going for a tropical tank instead of what I did with my 10g WCMM tank with no heater. 

Air pump for sponge.

Spiderwood 7 pc set. 

Thermometer.

Hygger 20 watt 30 inch light

20lb bag of sand (black galaxy)

And maybe i forgot something else but idk if i did or not.

For my stocking, (again, tank is not setup and there is nothing in it and has not been cycled, going to do the fishless cycle)

8 panda corys.

6 guppies or rasboras cannot decide which schooling fish i want yet.

And 3 honey gourimais.

And it will be heavily planted, going for that natural look. 

And that is it, thanks for reading! Pictures as soon as i set up!!!!

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

On 5/30/2024 at 12:02 PM, clownbaby said:

WOO HOO!!! Very excited my friend!!

I know!!!  Can’t wait, here is the tank, kinda boring tho lol. 

336DDB18-5D21-4E45-B896-1B64DEEE74EF.jpeg

On 5/30/2024 at 12:45 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

I too am very WOO HOO like Clownbaby said

Yes indeed!!!

• Love 3

Posted (edited)

that is kinda boring. it doesn't look 20 gallons...

But anyway.... What cleanup crew are you gonna have? The Cories will sift through the sand ik but what about the glass and deco cleaners?

Edited by CoryWithAKatana
  • Like 1

Excited to see how it turns out! Good luck with your new aquarium.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:53 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

6 guppies or rasboras cannot decide which schooling fish i want yet.

Guppies are really good, as long as you choose the right ones to start with, but I don't know. I have never kept Rasboras before.

On 5/30/2024 at 11:47 AM, CoryWithAKatana said:

But anyway.... What cleanup crew are you gonna have? The Cories will sift through the sand ik but what about the glass and deco cleaners?

@Whitecloud09, you could transfer your Nerite snail to your larger tank if needed, once you are able to find a way to do that without stressing your fish or snail out. He would probably appreciate the extra space and food.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 12:47 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

that is kinda boring. it doesn't look 20 gallons...

I was thinking a snail crew. I have one, in my 10, but will add him most likely, and get possibly one more. 

On 5/31/2024 at 10:11 AM, Guupy42 said:

Excited to see how it turns out! Good luck with your new aquarium.

Guppies are really good, as long as you choose the right ones to start with, but I don't know. I have never kept Rasboras before.

@Whitecloud09, you could transfer your Nerite snail to your larger tank if needed, once you are able to find a way to do that without stressing your fish or snail out. He would probably appreciate the extra space and food.

Yes. I have one issue, he doesn’t eat the algae (mini) wafers. Should I leave it in tank all night? They sink. But when does show up he is almost always on the glass. Would he smell it?? Idk anything about snails 🤷‍♂️

On 5/31/2024 at 2:50 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes. I have one issue, he doesn’t eat the algae (mini) wafers. Should I leave it in tank all night? They sink. But when does show up he is almost always on the glass. Would he smell it?? Idk anything about snails 🤷‍♂️

Mine doesn't eat the algae wafers, either. He only went for them last night because there was not enough algae in the tank. Normally, they will prefer natural algae or biofilm, but will go for the wafers only if there is a lack of food.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 1:50 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

he doesn’t eat the algae (mini) wafers

Same with mine. I think as long as you have algae in the tank, your snail won’t be interested in the wafers. But when you run out of algae he might be a little hungrier and figure it out. 
I tried to give mine a mini algae wafer but 1) he never was interested in it and turned right around in the opposite direction and 2) my betta snatched it up and ate the entire thing (it was split in half). Sigh.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 11:29 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Same with mine. I think as long as you have algae in the tank, your snail won’t be interested in the wafers. But when you run out of algae he might be a little hungrier and figure it out. 
I tried to give mine a mini algae wafer but 1) he never was interested in it and turned right around in the opposite direction and 2) my betta snatched it up and ate the entire thing (it was split in half). Sigh.

Yeah my white clouds are usually always asleep by the time I try to feed, so I don’t have that problem, but yes he just puts in reverse and says nope, not right now lol. And here is the table where my 10g will be today, I am putting the 10 here, and putting my 20 on the table my 10 is currently on.

8CECFB0B-8E37-493B-A018-73074E5EA17C.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2024 at 7:44 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Are you gonna keep any shrimp? Like an Armano or cherry? 

Yea I was thinking some shrimp. I was thinking Amano. 

On 6/2/2024 at 7:58 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

You should! Now is your chance to keep all the things; livebearers, corys, shrimp, etc etc!

Or you could turn your 5g into a neo shrimp tank 😉

Very good point! But i think it is going to be a QT tank for both tanks. But yes I am thinking of shrimp!

• Like 1

The medium sized sponge filter is to tall for my 20t long :(. 

So I was thinking of taking off the top curved piece of the sponge filter altogether? Anybody else do that? I read this earlier. So thinking it is fine? @Tony s? Anybody? 

image.jpg.4db522b85c7240ab6376cb3d81fdb665.jpgEdit: I decided on no uplift tube, I don’t have the right thing to cut it sadly. So I am going to add sand and everything I need for tank in there, will setup today, start cycle in 2 days, will let tank sit for 48 hours. 

On 6/3/2024 at 12:39 PM, Guupy42 said:

There is a section on how to adjust or trim the filter to fit your tank size.

I’ve actually watched this twice and yes above ⬆️ is what I did. Here are pictures. My tank is almost complete!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s full 🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇. It looks incredible!!!!! I almost cried it looks good, and my minnows were like “dang, and here we are with a lil 10g  😂😂😂. Here it is. 

8F0ECD75-EA4C-44E7-A538-58301031C824.jpeg

E483FFDA-4E06-4558-9E63-E532885062A4.jpeg

A011A89C-A1F7-46FD-8F6A-3C7E117537A0.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2
  • Love 4