Found bug inside filter

Hello everyone. 

I was doing maintenance today and found some living inside hang on back filter. Any idea if it's unsafe for my fish and plants?

I fed my fish with frozen brine shrimp. Is there a chance frozen brine shrimp come back to life?

I'm new to hobby and finding unexpected things alarm me.

I think I saw some hydras in there as well. My phone couldn't pick it up. 

PXL_20240529_211904236.jpg

PXL_20240529_211855446.jpg

I would think it's a scud.

On 5/29/2024 at 2:36 PM, khongor said:

I'm new to hobby and finding unexpected things alarm me.

I think I saw some hydras in there as well. My phone couldn't pick it up. 

Depending what is actually going on, having both these things in a new tank is kind of a concern.  Can you show us the tank setup itself, photos of the filtration, and discuss your maintenance routine?  For Hydra, it can be ignored for some setups, but it can also be an issue given certain stocking.  The thing you would use to eradicate it is a product called "no planaria".

On 5/29/2024 at 5:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would think it's a scud.

Depending what is actually going on, having both these things in a new tank is kind of a concern.  Can you show us the tank setup itself, photos of the filtration, and discuss your maintenance routine?  For Hydra, it can be ignored for some setups, but it can also be an issue given certain stocking.  The thing you would use to eradicate it is a product called "no planaria".

Yes definitely a scud.

• Like 1

If it puts your mind at ease I BUY scuds to add to tanks as fish food. They are great at cleaning nooks and crannies if substrate for missed food.  Probably came in on a plant. When babies they easily get into filters. No worries.

I also have hydra in 21 tanks. They exist in almost every natural body of fresh water. Also cane on plants. Unless you are feeding tons of powdered fry food or live brine they wont overproduce and won’t hurt anything.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for replies. 

Good to know new things about my new hobby. Here is my tank set up. 2nd 10 gal is just in case I need. Trying to grow plants in it.

1717107306223630700852891947540.jpg

PXL_20240530_131445674.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1