What do I do with all this MOSS!!?

I just cleaned out the "extra" moss from my 60 gallon tank (it has been long neglected, no fish for a few months but wanting to start over) and I weighed it withOUT water..

Over a pound!!!!!!!!

What do I do with it all!!?

I still have a ton left in the tank, the only other tanks I have are 5 gallons and already fully planted, I don't have a local shop to donate to right now...I'm at a loss!

I was thinking about drying it out and grinding it up and mixing with fish foods once I get more fish (I do this whenever I have an excessive amount of duckweed - so my hope is it could potentially be the same way???)

I've tried GIVING it away to hobbyists I know but they don't have room for it

And it makes me so sad to see such healthy green stuffs get tossed!

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

• Love 3

most fish stores that carry any live plants will give you good value for that, as trade in. it's usually sold in condiment-sized cups, and you have probably 30 or 40 portions there, if it's all good. If they sell those at say $8 each, and you get 25% of that as your price, you might get $240. If you know that you need something that store carries, they'll be even more willing to make a deal with you. 

You might even be better off aiming to distribute it among a couple stores, since any one store might be unwilling to take so much, for fear that it would brown off before it can be sold. 

• Like 2

Mosses that grow well aquatically can often be grown terrestrially in high-humidity environments. If you dont have a LFS, a shop that does lots of planted terrarium setups would probably be willing to take the moss as well. (Or local terrarium plant hobbyists for that matter)

• Like 2

What is your secret? I struggle to get moss started. Of course mine comes in a betta cup at petsmart. But I have a couple of tanks I’d like to carpet with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 3:24 AM, Tony s said:

What is your secret? I struggle to get moss started. Of course mine comes in a betta cup at petsmart. But I have a couple of tanks I’d like to carpet with.

I have the same dilemma with both java moss and java fern. Everyone talks about how long java ferns take to grow, but I literally throw out 5-gallon buckets of it on a periodic basis. Just last night, I just chucked out a very large wad of Christmas moss. 

For me the secret is this -- Put it in the tank and forget it's there. Don't feed it , don't tweak your lights, don't sing it to sleep each night with a lullaby. Don't do anything.  Just throw it in and forget it exists.  In 6 months or so, you'll have pretty sizable chunk of it, and as it gets larger, it grows exponentially faster; the more surface area the moss has, the more moss grows.

At least this has been my experience.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2024 at 5:17 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Put it in the tank and forget it's there.

Same for me. Every time I’ve TRIED to grow moss it all too often ends up in failure. Give up on it and ignore it and it’s busting out of the tank!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Put it in the tank and forget it's there.

Yeah, I did exactly that. It’s still there, only this time it looks like dead grass. 🤣  I must have to get it from a more reliable source. Now Java moss I can grow fine. Had a huge wendelove in a 10g. Right up to the point hair algae took it over.🤣

On 5/10/2024 at 10:50 AM, TifNee837 said:

I just cleaned out the "extra" moss from my 60 gallon tank (it has been long neglected, no fish for a few months but wanting to start over) and I weighed it withOUT water..

Over a pound!!!!!!!!

What do I do with it all!!?

I still have a ton left in the tank, the only other tanks I have are 5 gallons and already fully planted, I don't have a local shop to donate to right now...I'm at a loss!

I was thinking about drying it out and grinding it up and mixing with fish foods once I get more fish (I do this whenever I have an excessive amount of duckweed - so my hope is it could potentially be the same way???)

I've tried GIVING it away to hobbyists I know but they don't have room for it

And it makes me so sad to see such healthy green stuffs get tossed!

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

Make it into a salad😂😂😂 You gotta get your daily dose of fish and moss nutrients in! You know what turn it into a toupee to wear! All the baby fish fry are gonna be shocked!

I do think my 75 gal might have a bit more than a pound. Probably a lot more than a pound in it🥲🥲🥲IMG_4683.jpeg.9f51b1aa518fe27b03a4e2f5e798de1b.jpegIMG_4684.jpeg.665d4b76348982a2c78fa279afb470ce.jpegIMG_4685.jpeg.c91f144c59c006d43cb7aa62c66925e1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

So the Aquatics shop I just started working at was able to take the extra!!! 29 golf ball size portions!

On 5/10/2024 at 11:04 AM, TOtrees said:

most fish stores that carry any live plants will give you good value for that, as trade in. it's usually sold in condiment-sized cups, and you have probably 30 or 40 portions there, if it's all good. If they sell those at say $8 each, and you get 25% of that as your price, you might get $240. If you know that you need something that store carries, they'll be even more willing to make a deal with you. 

You might even be better off aiming to distribute it among a couple stores, since any one store might be unwilling to take so much, for fear that it would brown off before it can be sold. 

I did in fact have just shy of 30!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 5/11/2024 at 3:17 PM, tolstoy21 said:

and as it gets larger, it grows exponentially faster; the more surface area the moss has, the more moss grows.

This is a very good point I never considered, and makes a lot of sense for certain plants. Most of my experience is with stem plants, Anubias, swords, crypts, and other plants that don't really exhibit this type of growth behavior. Thanks for the insight.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:37 AM, TifNee837 said:

Hey everyone!

So the Aquatics shop I just started working at was able to take the extra!!! 29 golf ball size portions!

I did in fact have just shy of 30!

Goodness, I have seen some moss balls that big, but just moss? That’s insane!!! I would have to get a 50g just to keep it 🤣