Is spray foam / expanding foam safe for aquariums?

I've gotten mixed results from my internet research, and some people say certain brands are safe while other brands are not. I'd like to do a 3d background with spray foam on my new ten gallon tank but I obviously do not want it to poison fish ... is spray foam safe? If so, which brand works best?

Thanks for the help!!!

Just use care on not applying it too deep, it need moisture from the atmosphere to cure. For example, if you fill a PVC pipe with Great Stuff, the middle will not cure. I found out the hard way while making Harry Potter candles, fill the pipe then cut them down to size. What a mess that was.

What many do, after the foam cures you slice off the outer skin of the foam (silicone will not adhere to it) . Then cover the foam with silicone and pack substrate/rocks into the silicone.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 9:02 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I feel like while that statement does not surprise me coming from you,

Yes it does, sorry for the delay but had to find a photo

Candles.jpg.5f0bd2a6edc383c410cb8301a5265256.jpg

We host a neighborhood Halloween party/hayride.

So the this will be easy plan for our screened in porch, take a piece of PVC pipe, cut it into 3 pieces then squirt foam into to it from both sides. Once cured, cut the smaller candles from it. I quickly discovered the foam did not cure inside the pipe and would start expanding once cut. It was a bloody mess. Note: a hot glue gun was used to create the dripping wax effect. But they came out great, there are over 30 candles hanging.

What I should have used,  two-part liquid, expanding rigid urethane foam.  Once mixed together, this stuff will cure anywhere. I use this for my much delay Mbuna condo project:

Condo.jpg.bed3d81b6a75153993626ffa16cfca87.jpg

I made platforms for the rocks and placed balloons filled with sand on the base. I poured 3# density urethane foam around them. Remove the balloon and now I have condos for the Mbuna. I will set this tank up after our 3 week vacation in July. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

You are a bottomless pit of creativity and ingenuity, sir!  Annoying as they may have been to create, those are some sweet looking candles!  I wish I had neighbors like you!  My neighbors are fine.  But this is next level!