question about plant lights.

my light i don't think is good enough for plants ill send a picture when i get home but its like 6 leds and i was wondering if to solve this i could just leave my light in for longer so the photo synesis for longer instead of more during a shorter time?

Plants require PAR to grow. If you don’t have enough PAR it doesn’t matter how long you have the lights on. 

There are plenty of affordable lights that can grow most plants like Hygger and nicrew. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 2:07 PM, tike said:

How big is your tank.....gallons and dimensions. What type of plants are you growing?This goes a long way in deciding which light is right for you.

10 gallons and im growing crpyts anubis and some other plant that i think doesn't car(its been spreading with no ferts and 0 nitrates, iv just gotten some thrive c to raise the nitrates slowly.) and also the light i have now is whatever some in the topfin 10g starter kit(it was the cheapest tank i could find.

also it has a lid that i cant take off cause my cats will eat the fish(they managed to take the lid off once but no fish died.)

On 4/12/2024 at 3:27 PM, oogabooga said:

10 gallons and im growing crpyts anubis and some other plant that i think doesn't car(its been spreading with no ferts and 0 nitrates, iv just gotten some thrive c to raise the nitrates slowly.) and also the light i have now is whatever some in the topfin 10g starter kit(it was the cheapest tank i could find.

also it has a lid that i cant take off cause my cats will eat the fish(they managed to take the lid off once but no fish died.)

So the light isn't the best ....but..... Anubias and cyrpts can get by on less light. Is the light in the link one you think of getting?

On 4/12/2024 at 3:58 PM, tike said:

So the light isn't the best ....but..... Anubias and cyrpts can get by on less light. Is the light in the link one you think of getting?

i mean its pretty budget and its small enough to fit under my lid i think but i will need to superglue gel it on and make sure it doesn't fall in because its not submersible and there suction cups suck.

or can i just shine a bright light through the glass? from the side?

On 4/12/2024 at 4:19 PM, oogabooga said:

also if i wait for the light im starting to dose thrive c will that be bad?

The hygger led will be fine for low light plants and maybe some other less demanding plants since you only have a 10g. 

It seems like some plants are still growing with the stock light that you have so I’ll keep dosing ferts. I’d maybe dose half of the recommended and keep it that way even with the new light

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 7:11 PM, knee said:

The hygger led will be fine for low light plants and maybe some other less demanding plants since you only have a 10g. 

It seems like some plants are still growing with the stock light that you have so I’ll keep dosing ferts. I’d maybe dose half of the recommended and keep it that way even with the new light

It only adds 3 ppm of nitrates for full dose

On 4/12/2024 at 9:01 PM, oogabooga said:

It only adds 3 ppm of nitrates for full dose

Yeah but if the light isn’t helping your other plants grow, some of the ferts are not being consumed. If you’re noticing some growth from the other plants and don’t have any algae then you can keep it at your regular dosing schedule. I suggested half the recommended dose to avoid any algae issues while you’re trying to figure out your light situation. 

Edited by knee
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, oogabooga said:

i mean its pretty budget and its small enough to fit under my lid i think but i will need to superglue gel it on and make sure it doesn't fall in because its not submersible and there suction cups suck.

I would opt for a light on top of the glass, to prevent corrosion from damp.  If the glass is kept clean it will let plenty of light through 

• Like 2

Many people use DIY lights.  My 10 gallon is growing Anubia, PSO, Wisteria and some swords under an LED flashlight, running 16 hours a day.   PAR is one reason that it is far from ideal, but it works.

Short term, you can use a  daylight LED lightbulb on the side of the tank, until you get your new one.  I've done it.  The downside is that there may not be enough PAR on the opposite side of the tank, and you risk sun burning (bleaching) the plants closest to the glass, so be careful!

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 9:53 PM, knee said:

Yeah but if the light isn’t helping your other plants grow, some of the ferts are not being consumed. If you’re noticing some growth from the other plants and don’t have any algae then you can keep it at your regular dosing schedule. I suggested half the recommended dose to avoid any algae issues while you’re trying to figure out your light situation. 

i have never put the fert in they were dying from what i assume was 0 nitrates and thats why i had

On 4/13/2024 at 7:49 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I would opt for a light on top of the glass, to prevent corrosion from damp.  If the glass is kept clean it will let plenty of light through 

the lid is opaque

On 4/12/2024 at 8:33 AM, knee said:

Plants require PAR to grow. If you don’t have enough PAR it doesn’t matter how long you have the lights on. 

There are plenty of affordable lights that can grow most plants like Hygger and nicrew. 

But why do people say to lower light time to prevent algae? And also even if it was 1 per then would keeping it on longer still work because they could photosynesis at 1 par for 10 hours instead of 8?

On 4/14/2024 at 7:42 PM, oogabooga said:

But why do people say to lower light time to prevent algae? And also even if it was 1 per then would keeping it on longer still work because they could photosynesis at 1 par for 10 hours instead of 8?

Plants require a certain amount of PAR to grow. If a plant can’t grow with 5 PAR, keeping it on longer isn’t helping anything even if you have it on for 24 hours. 

On 4/14/2024 at 8:34 PM, knee said:

Plants require a certain amount of PAR to grow. If a plant can’t grow with 5 PAR, keeping it on longer isn’t helping anything even if you have it on for 24 hours. 

Oh...ok well I'm kinda low on cash tho so do you think if I keep these low light plants like anubis and crypts that they will grow with what I have? Like could u tell me the rate as in will it be very slow or at a moderate pace or is it perfectly fine and the growing will be normal for them in a tank just like mine with ferts.

On 4/14/2024 at 9:09 PM, oogabooga said:

Oh...ok well I'm kinda low on cash tho so do you think if I keep these low light plants like anubis and crypts that they will grow with what I have? Like could u tell me the rate as in will it be very slow or at a moderate pace or is it perfectly fine and the growing will be normal for them in a tank just like mine with ferts.

Anubias might be able to grow. Not sure about the crypts because I’ve never tried crypts in low light setups. Anubias, buce and moss will be able to grow in low light

• Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 9:22 PM, knee said:

Anubias might be able to grow. Not sure about the crypts because I’ve never tried crypts in low light setups. Anubias, buce and moss will be able to grow in low light

Well I'll try some buce in between some rocks I found outside maybe 

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn’t. Especially if it’s not submersible. It will collect water in the switch and other unsealed areas. I tried this. It burned out. Thankfully neither I or the fish were injured. You can’t safely have an unsubmersable light in that much humidity and condensation. Better way would b to cut into the lid and place it on top. The best way would be to purchase a glass lid 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:20 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t. Especially if it’s not submersible. It will collect water in the switch and other unsealed areas. I tried this. It burned out. Thankfully neither I or the fish were injured. You can’t safely have an unsubmersable light in that much humidity and condensation. Better way would b to cut into the lid and place it on top. The best way would be to purchase a glass lid 

I am doing the cut and place cause budget

• Like 1

If budget is an issue have you checked facebook marketplace? If you're lucky you could get some free or really cheap stuff on there. You can also check facebook groups that do trades for fish stuff in your area.

I'd also check for a glass lid so that you don't have to worry about gluing the light underneath your current lid

• Like 1