HELP BETTA FISH DYING!!! She won't have more than a couple days

Lily Beth

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

she won't move and looks dead at the bottom of the tank, will rarely come up for air so I lift her up, she will make one bubble then sink back down

Has white around her gills under her chin but not spots. I noticed the white about a week ago and it has grown since, she won't move up enough for me to look properly 

Loss of fins, the first thing I notices was a torn fin, we added pimafix and it got better for a bit. Then more and more of her fins were gone, she only has a strand left on her dorsal and tail fin, and hanging pieces under her chin/belly. It wasn't getting better so we went back for help and now we do melafix but she's just getting worse

i tried fasting her for 2 days then giving her a boiled frozen pee today cause I researched it could help some things but she won't eat it

I doubt she has more than a couple days left to live I don't know what else to do and she's very special to us we trained her and everything, but we are new to the aquarium hobby, only started at Christmas so our best just isn't enough to help her.

Please help!!!!

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?

hospital tank 35litres filled 1/3

How long has the tank been running?

2 weeks

Does it have a filter?

No but it has a bubble maker thing, the lowest powered one I could find

Does it have a heater?

yes

What is the water temperature?

24° like her old tank now 26° in the last 2 days

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Just her in hospital tank

old tank had 6 neon tetra, 2 corydoras, 1 otocinclus and some snails that hitched a ride on the plants 

Maintenance

How often do you change the water?

every 4-5 days

How much of the water do you change?

25%-50% depending on parameters 

What do you use to treat your water?

water conditioner, quick start, Aquarium Salt, amazon kh pH up or down if needed. In that order every water change 

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

substrate and water in old tank, no substrate in hospital tank so I can see how much she's eating and pooping

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

old tank yes

hospital tank no

What do you use to test the water?

API fresh water master test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: basically zero but less the than 0.25 she gets a water change tomorrow 

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate: 5.0

pH: 6.9

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish?

every night 

How much do you feed your fish?

A pinch but we really can't figure out how much everyone was eating so it might be too much or too little

What brand of food do you feed your fish?

Fluval bug bites betta flakes

Do you feed frozen?

we tried blood worms once but I found it triggering 

Do you feed freeze-dried foods?

no

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish?

since December 

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?

4-6 weeks 

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?

won't move, acts dead, now won't eat, loss of fins, white around gills

Have you started any treatment for the illness?

we did pimafix for 2 weeks then told to change to melafix and have done that for 3-4 weeks she keeps getting worse

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?

no

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

it started with fins being torn now she has hardly any fins left. She got lazy and sat at the bottom every now and then. Now she won't leave the bottom of the tank and I lift her up for air as much as I can when I'm home. She just sits there looking dead and I wake her up for air she's getting less responsive every day. Occasionally she will eratically swim around for a split second then sink again 

20240323_225310.jpg

20240323_225216.jpg

20240323_225131.jpg

20240323_225051.jpg

20240323_225045.jpg

I don't know why it kept formatting like that it's very glitchy sorry!!!!

• Sad 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:31 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Lily Beth, thanks for all that info, that helps a ton but, do you mean degrees or Celsius for that temp? Because if degrees then that betta is definitely dying because they can’t live under 72 degrees for a long time, but I’m sure Celsius right?

Yes I live in Australia it's Celsius sorry 

• Like 1

Had this exact problem with an old beta a few years ago, definitely fin rot + possibly columnaris + maybe some fungal infection.

1: Add a sponge filter. A filter, while also not curing the disease, will help keep down levels of toxins and give a place for the bacteria to live in. Make sure it is specifically a sponge filter, as carbon media may remove medication.

2: New medication. While Melafix and Pimafix are good for treating their respective kinds of disesse, they are not as good for serious ailments. Maracyn and ICH-X would work much better.

3: More aquarium salt. If the infections is getting that serious, more aquarium salt will help out. Make sure not to add too much though.

I’m not an expert on fish, but these should help a bit!

Edited by Spaghider

On 3/23/2024 at 11:01 AM, Spaghider said:

Had this exact problem with an old beta a few years ago, definitely fin rot + possibly columnaris + maybe some fungal infection.

1: Add a sponge filter. A filter, while also not curing the disease, will help keep down levels of toxins and give a place for the bacteria to live in. Make sure it is specifically a sponge filter, as carbon media may remove medication.

2: New medication. While Melafix and Pimafix are good for treating their respective kinds of disesse, they are not as good for serious ailments. Maracyn and ICH-X would work much better.

3: More aquarium salt. If the infections is getting that serious, more aquarium salt will help out. Make sure not to add too much though.

I’m not an expert on fish, but these should help a bit!

Oh I didn’t read that there is no filter, that can be a huge problem possibly, salt, Maracyn and ich x will help just like @Spaghider said, aquarium salt is super helpful in a TON of diseases and I am a strong believer in it, if your quarantine tank is not cycled I would definitely get a sponge filter and get the bacteria going in the tank @Lily Beth

Hob filter would be fine. Just remove cartridge. Or sponge, either way works. I would use maracyn2 or kanaplex for severe fin rot. Mouth looks a bit chewed up as well. Do a water change before adding meds. Then follow directions on package closely.. if you keep the hob in, put a new cartridge in when treatment is over. It will clear the meds. 

And not all lying on the bottom is bad. Yours look like it needs the meds. But I have an older one that’s just what he does. Rests

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:22 AM, Tony s said:

Hob filter would be fine. Just remove cartridge. Or sponge, either way works. I would use maracyn2 or kanaplex for severe fin rot. Mouth looks a bit chewed up as well. Do a water change before adding meds. Then follow directions on package closely.. if you keep the hob in, put a new cartridge in when treatment is over. It will clear the meds. 

And not all lying on the bottom is bad. Yours look like it needs the meds. But I have an older one that’s just what he does. Rests

Oh yeah a hob is fine too, I forgot about those lol, yep EXACTLY what mine does, doesn’t even come up but for air, sometimes it’s just because they are age ing but water change meds is what you need to do first here, as soon as done with the meds than add some aquarium salt.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:08 AM, Lily Beth said:

amazon kh pH up or down if needed.

Are you aiming for certain parameters by using this stuff? How often do you use this? I can tell you that this stuff can cause shifting water parameters which can place stress on your fish. It is better to have stable parameters than chase parameters.

I wouldn't use oil based medication like pimafix and Melafix it can be harmful to Bettas labyrinth organ as @Tony s recommended I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as kanaplex or maracyn2 and I would add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect and i would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes help with any potential fungal infection that could be going on just keep a close eye on your water parameters during treatment @Lily Beth

You should definitely follow Colu's advice. Only thing I'd like to add is that ammonia and nitrite have to be zero. You can do this through consistant water changes, and don't need to necessarily rely on a seasoned filter (though that would only help out the situation.) Any issues with the fish can easily be exacerbated with the presence of any degree of ammonia or nitrite.

Also, keeping lights off and allowing the most stress-free environment can help.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 5:11 PM, quikv6 said:

You should definitely follow Colu's advice. Only thing I'd like to add is that ammonia and nitrite have to be zero. You can do this through consistant water changes, and don't need to necessarily rely on a seasoned filter (though that would only help out the situation.) Any issues with the fish can easily be exacerbated with the presence of any degree of ammonia or nitrite.

Also, keeping lights off and allowing the most stress-free environment can help.

Yes absolutely, with a fish in this condition I would 100% get that ammonia 0, and DEFINITELY nitrite 0, anything over 0 can result in problems, and I forgot that the cycle (fish in) can take a bit and you might not have a bit and meds + water changes is acting fast @Lily Beth.

We have put 2 medicines in that our aquarium has (we are in Australia)

Our water has been dyed green and I will keep you updated on the little lady, what do I do about the worm things all over the glass are they harmless?

17112547250061246745666657122459.jpg

On 3/24/2024 at 4:33 AM, Lily Beth said:

We have put 2 medicines in that our aquarium has (we are in Australia)

Our water has been dyed green and I will keep you updated on the little lady, what do I do about the worm things all over the glass are they harmless?

17112547250061246745666657122459.jpg

I would only use the multi cure as ichonex has one of the seem active ingredients malachite green  am assuming your in Australia you can get blue planet aquari-cycline antibiotic treatment that would be  my go to choice of treatment I would treat with multi cure till you can get  blue planet aquari-cycline @Lily Beth

Screenshot_20231218-015734~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

She's on her way out, I found her upside down only able to move one fin. I don't think medicine can save her at this point. Her gills are moving but that's about it.

20240325_120013.jpg

• Sad 4