Alternate Fish Suggestions

theotheragentm

I have an office tank (see photo). It's a 20L with a Dwarf Sag carpet, a bunch of crypts, lucky bamboo growing out the back, and a dwarf lily. The current inhabitants are a colony of cherry shrimp, a single amano shrimp, about a dozen ember tetras, and pond snails. Recently I've been wanting a different color of fish as the shrimp are already red. Does anyone have any suggestions with the following considerations?

1. My water change schedule is about 12% weekly because the bioload is so small. It's very ideal for me since it's an office tank, so I'd like to keep it that way.
  2. The back of the tank is open to allow the bamboo to stick out, so while all fish jump, no prolific jumpers.
  3. I don't wait the fish to eat my shrimp.
  4. My water is hard here in Southern California, coming out at 8.0 from the tap. I've found most fish adjust okay.
  5. I'm not running the tank very warm, currently 72F, but that can be raised, or the heater can be removed if we need to run it cold. I know the shrimp will do fine.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

PXL_20201120_174304296.jpg

4 minutes ago, theotheragentm said:

I have an office tank (see photo). It's a 20L with a Dwarf Sag carpet, a bunch of crypts, lucky bamboo growing out the back, and a dwarf lily. The current inhabitants are a colony of cherry shrimp, a single amano shrimp, about a dozen ember tetras, and pond snails. Recently I've been wanting a different color of fish as the shrimp are already red. Does anyone have any suggestions with the following considerations?

1. My water change schedule is about 12% weekly because the bioload is so small. It's very ideal for me since it's an office tank, so I'd like to keep it that way.
  2. The back of the tank is open to allow the bamboo to stick out, so while all fish jump, no prolific jumpers.
  3. I don't wait the fish to eat my shrimp.
  4. My water is hard here in Southern California, coming out at 8.0 from the tap. I've found most fish adjust okay.
  5. I'm not running the tank very warm, currently 72F, but that can be raised, or the heater can be removed if we need to run it cold. I know the shrimp will do fine.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

PXL_20201120_174304296.jpg

You may be able to do a betta. But you would have to make sure the betta is passive aggresive. The betta probably wouldn't eat the shrimp because they can hide in the carpet. A nice school of celstrial pearl danios would also be cool. 

I would do endlers with the bright green or blue coloration. They would love the tank, would do great with the hardness, and would be fine with the temp. 

WWW.AQUABID.COM

AquaBid.com: Item # fwguppies1605939067 - PR JAPAN BLUE ENDLERS / FRY / SHIPPING INCLUDED.
WWW.AQUABID.COM

AquaBid.com: Item # fwlivebearersw1605915069 - PR GREEN LIGHTNING ENDLERS / FRY / SHIPPING.

Something like those? You could do just males for color if you wanted. 

I would do a school of Pygmy corys they will add a nice silver. Neon tetras will add a nice blue. Hillstream loaches are going to add a different look and different behavior to the tank all would be shrimp safe and would be the right size for the tank. I would do about a dozen of the Pygmy corys or a dozen neons. I would also have 3-6 hillstream loaches. In addition to the school of your choice. I think with the numbers you have in there now the bio load of 12 more nano fish will be almost non-noticeable. Hillstream loaches are grazers so they eat the same food as your shrimp and are fun to watch. This is one of my Borneo sucker loaches 

7291FA8D-B4A5-4DF0-9C11-256BC96DECA3.jpeg

I agree with @Brandy, a pseudomogil rainbow species (I am partial or furcatus) would be great and add a lot more activity than the Embers. If you want a fish that is a lot like the Embers but with a different color, the kubotais with their neon green would be great. If you want to go with a bright blue to contrast with both the shrimp and the green plants, I might suggest neon blue rasboras. If it were me, though, I’d take out the heater and add a half dozen rainbow shiners for a really unusual and beautiful aquarium. They are a little pricy and hard to find but a truly amazing fish.

2B46EA30-EC6E-43AD-BC63-CDA3AA411CE0.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi @lefty oand @James Black, you both mentioned a school of CPDs and I'm curious about them as I have a "teenaged" school of their close cousins, danio erythromicron (aka/fka dwarf emerald rasbora), and mine stay in hiding most of the time. I have them in a heavily-planted 10 gal right now with a few yellow neocardinia shrimp, while procuring and setting up a 20L and supplies. Once they're moved, I want to get some honey gouramis and cory cats, and am wondering if they'll help my danios come out of their shells, so to speak. Right now I have to sit perfectly still in front of the tank for several minutes to see even one, and they slowly come out but any slight movement on my part sends them running back to hiding. A few of them are getting their gorgeous bluish stripes but I can hardly see the progress! Counting them and checking their basic health is impossible except for a fleeting glimpse. Are CPDs similarly shy and do you havd any suggestions to bring them into view? Thanks!!

• Like 1