Jump to content

Will my angelfish kill my mystery snails?


FishObsessed
 Share

Recommended Posts

I added two nerite snails the other day to my tank and my 3 angels have been fine with them....until today when I added 3 mystery snails. This guy in the picture, within and hr of adding them to the tank) started picking at them. I think it's already eaten one of the antennas off. It's sad because they immediately were active in the tank and now they're getting picked at. Will he/she eventually leave them alone?

IMG_20201118_105032_0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, FishObsessed said:

I added two nerite snails the other day to my tank and my 3 angels have been fine with them....until today when I added 3 mystery snails. This guy in the picture, within and hr of adding them to the tank) started picking at them. I think it's already eaten one of the antennas off. It's sad because they immediately were active in the tank and now they're getting picked at. Will he/she eventually leave them alone?

IMG_20201118_105032_0.jpg

I love your Angelfish! I have never heard of angelfish to attack mystery snails. hmm... intersting. I would say to give it sometime like maybe  a day. Angelfish don't like changes to their tank. I would keep an eye on the angelfish, as they will probably stop.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had mystery snails before I had fish. When I added the 8 juvenile Brichardi, it didn’t take long for the antennae to be gone. Three months later, the snails continue to plod along doing their job. The Brichardi continue to harass when they enter their territory or especially when the get near the nests and the fry.    I’ve only lost two of the original snails, but both of them were undersized and not very active from the beginning. 
 

I realize that Brichardi aren’t Angelfish but they are both Cichlids and  aggressive pickers. Point being, that even though the snails  are being harassed, they continue to clean and provide an interesting aspect to the tank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

I had mystery snails before I had fish. When I added the 8 juvenile Brichardi, it didn’t take long for the antennae to be gone. Three months later, the snails continue to plod along doing their job. The Brichardi continue to harass when they enter their territory or especially when the get near the nests and the fry.    I’ve only lost two of the original snails, but both of them were undersized and not very active from the beginning. 
 

I realize that Brichardi aren’t Angelfish but they are both Cichlids and  aggressive pickers. Point being, that even though the snails  are being harassed, they continue to clean and provide an interesting aspect to the tank. 

That makes me feel better. It's only the one angelfish that's doing the picking. it's like it got some antenna off of one of the snails and realized that they can be food, and now he keeps picking at them even after just eating. but of course I wondered if the snails would live, so it's encouraging to hear that most of yours are still doing fine. 

Edited by FishObsessed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 8:33 AM, FishObsessed said:

That makes me feel better. It's only the one angelfish that's doing the picking. it's like it got some antenna off of one of the snails and realized that they can be food, and now he keeps picking at them even after just eating. but of course I wondered if the snails would live, so it's encouraging to hear that most of yours are still doing fine. 

You might like to know...my big gold mystery snail cruised the front glass a little while ago. I noticed that it’s antennae had grown back but not to their previous glory. I also noticed the it snapped them back in whenever one of the fish got near. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 6/10/2022 at 9:41 PM, Mark C. said:

I’m having this issue with my angelfish and two mystery snails. She has bitten off the feelers, whatever they are called, on both snails. She still seems to pick at the blue one from time to time. The Angel doesn’t bother anything else in the tank but she sure isn’t an Angel with the snails. 

@Guppysnailis our resident expert on snails, well, one of ‘em anyhow. 
 

can you tell me anything about your tank?  Size? Tank mates? Planted?  
 

my angels can get kinda feisty 😈 from time to time, but typically it’s limited to chasing a fish for a second.  Could be your is just exploring its environment, or playing with your snails.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Ken Burke said:

@Guppysnailis our resident expert on snails, well, one of ‘em anyhow. 
 

can you tell me anything about your tank?  Size? Tank mates? Planted?  
 

my angels can get kinda feisty 😈 from time to time, but typically it’s limited to chasing a fish for a second.  Could be your is just exploring its environment, or playing with your snails.  

Hey, it’s a 29 Gallon tank. It’s fairly planted with about 6 plants in it. Tidal 55 filter and an air stone. We have one Angel, 6 cardinal tetras, 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 male guppies, a Rubberlip Pleco and two mystery snails. 
If she is playing she seems to be playing a little rough lol. Their feelers haven’t grown back as of yet but I have noticed the snails themselves are getting bigger. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could go either way. The Angel could just be curios or could harass them to the point they can’t eat.  If they do crawl about and keep their antenna tucked in they are scared but hungry enough to go for food.  Their antenna are the most sensitive parts next to their eyes. Though they have poor eyes sight both antenna and eyes have high nerve concentrations.  I had to move mine from a female guppy tank for this reason. But mine are fine with boy guppies who don’t chase the antenna.  Those antenna I imagine look like worms which is a natural food source. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tank should be big enough for a single angel. Plenty of dithers.  How big are the plants?  Does it have a retreat for when feeling shy?  Can u send me a picture?

 

if he’s not stressed, I am running outta ideas.  If you had a larger aquarium you could try adding a couple more angels.  They are a shoaling fish and may benefit from a couple more of their kind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...