What does your aquarium look like?

On 2/29/2024 at 8:16 AM, NOLANANO said:

@Biotope Biologist I am just curious, are there any pics you could share of the look you are going for when complete? Its a very interesting setup.

No not really I am setting up a river/creek biotope and unfortunately it’s still pretty unpopular. Especially the use of algae as the main display plant. In the spring I can post pics of the algae when it’s in full production. Beautiful and it pearlesces(?) a ton.

Here is a pic of water willow all grown up. It forms these woody rafts in high flow environments. And I also have white top sedge and some random riparian things I didn’t plant like some sort of violet and a deer fern that really take a while to take hold. It tests my patience sometimes but it’ll be worth it in the end and the gobies really enjoy tunneling into the island

IMG_4130.jpeg.ab556f8b3c13deabb2e49d0cb05e1edb.jpeg

edit I found a pic from last summer, still doesn’t do it justice but:

IMG_3645.jpeg.667a8779c2f8e7dd69315acc423d5af3.jpeg

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/29/2024 at 4:51 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

unfortunately it’s still pretty unpopular. Especially the use of algae as the main display plant. In the spring I can post pics of the algae when it’s in full production. Beautiful and it pearlesces(?) a ton.

You had me at algae!!!! Where do I sign up???

On 2/29/2024 at 4:51 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

No not really I am setting up a river/creek biotope and unfortunately it’s still pretty unpopular. Especially the use of algae as the main display plant. In the spring I can post pics of the algae when it’s in full production. Beautiful and it pearlesces(?) a ton.

But that begs the question…. If you actively try to cultivate algae, does it struggle to survive?

• Haha 5

On 2/29/2024 at 8:15 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Ok here is my 10g, not anything special

For your first attempt, this is actually really good. think of all the things you learned

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:59 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I know this a joke… but yes absolutely!

Well, seeing it is riparian creek, and peaks in spring, it likely is not a point of decreasing waterchanges as naturally water flow in a creek would be high in  spring..  But likely photoperiod and intensity would be at peak so pegging lighting and perhaps increasing flow might recreate conditions…

observing local streams ponds and lakes, I notice Algae highest surrounding the solstice.  By mid August it clears dramatically…

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:56 PM, Pepere said:

But that begs the question…. If you actively try to cultivate algae, does it struggle to survive?

On 2/29/2024 at 7:59 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

That's an awesome idea, I'm pretty sure if I actually tried to grow algae it would disappear.  🙂

I struggle to grow Duckweed, so yeah, maybe actually trying to grow algae would be the way do be rid of it.

It might be time for a Show Us Your Algae thread.

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:04 PM, Pepere said:

mid February 2024

same tank, hopefully getting better…

Watching the gradual metamorphosis in your tank is quite interesting.  "We" know that only an aquarist could see these pics and kinda tell what's happening and what the aqua planner was thinking. 

That's one reason I love the forum.  We are, in one sense, kindred spirit.

I love your aquarium and it's past lives, too.  🤗

• Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, Flipper said:

We" know that only an aquarist could see these pics and kinda tell what's happening and what the aqua planner was thinking. 

Yes. I show the pics to friends and family and they just nod politely…

Early on I had no idea.  I tried finding advice online and mostly heard “just put it where it looks good to you.”

In reality it is not horrid advice, because early on you are going to be quite occupied learning how to just grow healthy plants and try to control Algae…

i think Takashi Amano is quoted to have said “You can’t learn to Aquascape until you have learned to grow healthy plants.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, Pepere said:

i think Takashi Amano is quoted to have said “You can’t learn to Aquascape until you have learned to grow healthy plants.”

This is great advice but what the  pros leave out is the most important part of learning how to grow healthy plants....

Spoiler alert:  It's learning about plant nutrition,  not how much PAR light X puts out, or how to fight algae Y… Most algae is just a symptom of poor water quality and poor plant growth.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:17 PM, Pepere said:

And yet Aquascapers have great success both with EI and with lean dosing.

Not really sure what your point is?

Edit: both methods require plant nutrition knowledge.

Edited by JoeQ

Just mentioning that you don’t necessarily need “the absolute best” fertilizer schedule.  Within appropriate nutrition there is a range that works well…. 

Some people are constantly altering their fertilization rather than picking something that will work well and working to keep those levels stable.

Plants adjust to the soup being provided.  Alter the soup and the plant expends energy adjusting again..

By and large I agree with you.  Just providing a small amount of context…

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:38 PM, Pepere said:

Just mentioning that you don’t necessarily need “the absolute best” fertilizer schedule.  Within appropriate nutrition there is a range that works well…. 

Some people are constantly altering their fertilization rather than picking something that will work well and working to keep those levels stable.

Plants adjust to the soup being provided.  Alter the soup and the plant expends energy adjusting again..

By and large I agree with you.  Just providing a small amount of context…

Imo, people who are successful with Lean dosing have a deeper understanding.

For EI all you really need is a general NPK (Macro) understanding, and basic Micro understanding, overdose your tank with a certain ratio, do a 50% plus weekly water change, and plants will grow. So simple even a dumdum like me can do it and look smurt...

Edited by JoeQ

On 3/1/2024 at 7:40 PM, Flipper said:

Here's my 20g high.  Pogo plant is still transitioning from emersed to submerged, but it's growing.  I hope I have enough light for it; I don't want to turn them up.

20240301_180604.jpg.4f5eeafd0cebbff3781fee089f4be2b2.jpg

The plants reaction to the light (opening and closing) will tell you if its enough. Mine would take about an hour to open when my light turned on, and start to close about an hour before the light went off (if i remember correctly) 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been setting up my 75g for nearly 2 years since July 2022. I’m almost done, but I’m still filling it up with more plants, and more fish are going in soon.

July 2022:

The tank was eventually filled up with water back in December 2022 after getting the essentials. Soon, I was attempting to cycle it by ghost feeding the tank, it took a while for it to cycle but after a few months it finally did. During that time, I added some rocks from our front yard in there, I eventually removed them as they were too sharp. But that banana plant on the left is still with me after getting it back in February last year, it went through a massive algae issue in the tank where everything was completely covered in algae for nearly a year. And the water had so much algae in it, that I couldn’t even see 6 inches into the tank before it was green, and the banana plant thrived. Even though the tubers and the stems were covered in algae, it survived cause it shot shoots up to the surface and had access to light. Eventually, those shoots all died off and the plant grew back to normal and is now not covered in algae, but the tubers rotted away though sadly.

I still really wish I had put a black background but it’s too late now.

IMG_0831.jpeg

This is how it looks now

IMG_1345.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 3/4/2024 at 11:06 PM, tetra said:

I’ve been setting up my 75g for nearly 2 years since July 2022. I’m almost done, but I’m still filling it up with more plants, and more fish are going in soon.

July 2022:

The tank was eventually filled up with water back in December 2022 after getting the essentials. Soon, I was attempting to cycle it by ghost feeding the tank, it took a while for it to cycle but after a few months it finally did. During that time, I added some rocks from our front yard in there, I eventually removed them as they were too sharp. But that banana plant on the left is still with me after getting it back in February last year, it went through a massive algae issue in the tank where everything was completely covered in algae for nearly a year. And the water had so much algae in it, that I couldn’t even see 6 inches into the tank before it was green, and the banana plant thrived. Even though the tubers and the stems were covered in algae, it survived cause it shot shoots up to the surface and had access to light. Eventually, those shoots all died off and the plant grew back to normal and is now not covered in algae, but the tubers rotted away though sadly.

I still really wish I had put a black background but it’s too late now.

IMG_0831.jpeg

This is how it looks now

IMG_1345.jpeg

Nice jump from first pic to last, that driftwood looks awesome, nice job @tetra!