What is the best clean up crew for a 10 gal?

Nerites are great for eating algae.ย  But my vote for best clean-up crew is responsible feeding and/or your siphon. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

What else is in the tank already?ย  Or if it's not already setup, what's the theoretical future stocking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nerites, mystery snails, otocinclus (they need to be supplements with veggies). I have some otos, i have 2 mystery snails in every tank, except in my 75g where i have 25, they bred there

But, yes, helpers do not take the place of regular cleaning

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:00 PM, jwcarlson said:

Nerites are great for eating algae.ย  But my vote for best clean-up crew is responsible feeding and/or your siphon. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

What else is in the tank already?ย  Or if it's not already setup, what's the theoretical future stocking?

Oh my bad @jwcarlson, I have 6 white cloud minnows and live plants. It has been set up for like 2 months already cycled

On 2/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, Tony s said:

nerites, mystery snails, otocinclus (they need to be supplements with veggies). I have some otos, i have 2 mystery snails in every tank, except in my 75g where i have 25, they bred there

But, yes, helpers do not take the place of regular cleaning

Yea I know that but just wanted some helpers for in between water changes @Tony s

@jwcarlson I did the fishless cycle btw

How many nerites??? @Tony sย @jwcarlson

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:09 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Iโ€™d do 2 nerites if youโ€™re going that way. Iโ€™m always a fan of Ramshorn snails. They can just get out of control if you overfeed.ย 

What do u mean by โ€œout of controlโ€?

I love the look and behavior of nerite snails, but the eggs they lay are a real aesthetic issue, they never go away and are super hard to get off of things! My first driftwood piece from my first ever aquarium is still covered in these eggs like 7-8 years later.ย 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:11 PM, Gannon said:

I love the look and behavior of nerite snails, but the eggs they lay are a real aesthetic issue, they never go away and are super hard to get off of things! My first driftwood piece from my first ever aquarium is still covered in these eggs like 7-8 years later.ย 

Oh wow, I thought I heard they only breed in brackish tanks @Gannon

• Like 1

Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater. Females will lay eggs, they look like sesame seeds, and theyโ€™re super hard to remove. But they canโ€™t breed/actually reproduce in freshwater so thereโ€™s no chance of the population getting out of control.ย 
ย 

Ramshorns and pond/bladder snails will reproduce to the amount of food in the tank, algae included, so things can get out of control if you overfeed. I intentionally feed tanks heavy and let the ramshorns go crazy so I can feed them to my Pea Puffers.ย 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 4:12 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Oh wow, I thought I heard they only breed in brackish tanks @Gannon

They'll lay eggs in freshwater, but the eggs won't hatch in freshwater. So yeah you don't get a ton of snails, but its not worth the little white dots on EVERYTHING in my opinion. I'd just do any other snail species and try not to overfeed and you'll be okay.ย 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:12 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater. Females will lay eggs, they look like sesame seeds, and theyโ€™re super hard to remove. But they canโ€™t breed/actually reproduce in freshwater so thereโ€™s no chance of the population getting out of control.ย 
ย 

Ramshorns and pond/bladder snails will reproduce to the amount of food in the tank, algae included, so things can get out of control if you overfeed. I intentionally feed tanks heavy and let the ramshorns go crazy so I can feed them to my Pea Puffers.ย 

Thanks!!

On 2/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, Gannon said:

They'll lay eggs in freshwater, but the eggs won't hatch in freshwater. So yeah you don't get a ton of snails, but its not worth the little white dots on EVERYTHING in my opinion. I'd just do any other snail species and try not to overfeed and you'll be okay.ย 

Thanks I never knew, you saved me @Gannon ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks everyone!!!!

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Is there any snails that are hard to breed so no out of control?

Nerites.ย 
ย 

If youโ€™re worried about the eggs you can do what @Ireneย (girltalksfish) has done and keep them in a bucket to start out. If after a couple of weeks there are no eggs in the bucket, you most likely have males and then youโ€™ll never have eggs in the tank.ย 
ย 

I have 6 nerites right now. I havenโ€™t seen any eggs in the tanks theyโ€™re in, so I guess I won the Nerite lottery.ย 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:14 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Thanks!!

Thanks I never knew, you saved me @Gannon ๐Ÿ˜‚

If you get males, they wont do that, but I've always struggled to tell the difference reliably.ย 

Maybe this will help!

https://aquariumbreeder.com/nerite-snails-detailed-guide-care-diet-and-breeding/

image.png.0fe39a5e93afdb33ba29fb1aa890dd24.png

ย 

Besides snails there isn't too many options for a 10 gallon tank. I like habrosus cories, but they're a bit more sensitive and would do better in a slightly bigger tank, but theyd be okay in a 10. Just get at least 6. They don't eat algae but they'll take care of scraps which will reduce snail populations to a healthy amount.ย 

• Thanks 1

What will the clean-up team be cleaning up after?ย 

ย 

As others mentioned, no overfeeding is the best option but shrimp can be good cleaners if they are not threatened by the other inhabitants. Although a bit boring to look at, Amano shrimp are quite good at it

Edited by EggShappedFish
Typo
  • Like 1

Shrimps are good but if you have live bears and don't feed them much they will eat more algae and whatever than anything else - of course with a 10 gallon aquarium you really can't keep much to begin with - so my recommendation would depend on what-else is in the aquarium. If your stocking is shrimp friendly then i'd go with shrimp since they will have minimal impact on bio-load HOWEVER given that you are asking this question - if you are not experienced you might want to take it slow as shrimps can be frustrating under the wrong conditions.

ย 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:16 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I have 6 nerites right now. I havenโ€™t seen any eggs in the tanks theyโ€™re in, so I guess I won the Nerite lottery.ย 

Me too. I currently have 6 and previously had 2 others and I've never had eggs. I wonder if it's somehow related to water conditions as well? 8 males and no females seems ridiculously unlikely.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:59 PM, EggShappedFish said:

What will the clean-up team be cleaning up after?ย 

ย 

As others mentioned, no overfeeding is the best option but shrimp can be good cleaners if they are not threatened by the other inhabitants. Although a bit boring to look at, Amano shrimp are quite good at it

White cloud minnows @EggShappedFish

On 2/14/2024 at 9:18 PM, Katherine said:

Me too. I currently have 6 and previously had 2 others and I've never had eggs. I wonder if it's somehow related to water conditions as well? 8 males and no females seems ridiculously unlikely.

I would try to identify, but at ย petsmart it is hard to do that because they have sooo many. That applies to fish I guess but..

On 2/14/2024 at 8:18 PM, Katherine said:

I found as my female nerite got older she laid less eggs; when young it as annoying as annoying can be. Bless her heart she lived to be 4.

• Like 1
  • Love 1