Box Filter powered by Easy Flow Sponge Filter Upgrade kit

1000000577-01.jpeg.a145a6cb53692860933a28508b393287.jpeg4__73755.1647403763.jpg.eb2b3f2e8346295268b6a1f6d41ca471.jpg

I wanted to show off my 3d printed box filter. This is modeled after a style of filter that is becoming popularized by shrimp breeders in Singapore. This is used as a method to utilize activated soil or crushed coral to alter the water chemistry all while being easy to remove when the soil has expired. It is air-driven, under a gravel filter so all you need to do is hook it up to an air line, fill it with soil, and plop it into the tank. When it needs to be changed out in six months, I can change it out for a fresh one without much stress to the shrimp.

I wanted to try this new method with some caridina shrimp but getting the filter was a hassle having to ship a tiny acrylic box from Asia when I have a 3d printer in the next room. The uplift tube was always my issue, it's a bit too technical of a piece for my novice 3d modeling skills. So when I saw Cory announce this Easy Flow Sponge Upgrade, I knew that was my solution. I took some measurements of the kit and pressure-fit it to the base. Drop the base in the box and you've got a filter. 

1000000573-01.jpeg.bd2a411789c135c586ccacf8c7786022.jpeg

I haven't set it up yet, but I figured this group would get a kick out of it!

Enjoy your nature today!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

You know that would be a great way to use crushed coral for helping to buffer kh. I have to keep it on all of my tanks. I'm not a big fan of keeping it in my hobs. So I keep it mixed with the gravel. But I'm working on switching over my tanks to jungle river sand. But when I mix the cc with it, it takes away from the visual aesthetics of the sand. But with something like this I could just fill it with the cc and it would keep a constant flow of water over it to dissolve. I would think anyways. Keep me updated on how this works. If it does well you might just have to prime some of those boxes for me👍

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 2:05 AM, EggShappedFish said:

Very nice! 

What type of filament do you use? Is it just regular Pla? 

It is regular PLA. Yes it is aquarium safe but I find PLA gets very brittle when waterlogged over a long time. This was the prototype, I think a transparent PETG might be the final filament choice. To handle the water better and see through the breeder box to inspect the media a bit.

Thanks for the question!

On 2/13/2024 at 10:48 PM, TeeJay said:

You know that would be a great way to use crushed coral for helping to buffer kh. I have to keep it on all of my tanks. I'm not a big fan of keeping it in my hobs. So I keep it mixed with the gravel. But I'm working on switching over my tanks to jungle river sand. But when I mix the cc with it, it takes away from the visual aesthetics of the sand. But with something like this I could just fill it with the cc and it would keep a constant flow of water over it to dissolve. I would think anyways. Keep me updated on how this works. If it does well you might just have to prime some of those boxes for me👍

I've got the same problem because I keep bare bottom guppy breeding tanks. When I realized it could work with crushed coral too, that's when I knew I had to share it with the community. I know @Cory isn't a huge fan of activated substrate but I figured he could get behind a crush coral filter box using his cool uplift tubes.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2024 at 9:30 AM, Fragilenanotank said:

Yes it is aquarium safe but I find PLA gets very brittle when waterlogged over a long time

I use PLA a lot, for things that aren't vital. I remember talks several years ago, about it not being aquarium safe, but I think that now, after people have tried it in use for some time, that maybe they realise that it maybe is ok. I do make the prints a bit stronger though (thicker walls, more infil etc) if I want it to last a bit longer

On 2/14/2024 at 2:10 AM, Galabar said:

I wonder if it will fit the classic:

https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Triple-Flow-Corner-Filter-Large/dp/B0002APX0U

I'm tempted to set up a 10 gallon, just to relive my childhood, including using aluminum foil tapped to the back of the tank. 🙂

However, I'll probably avoid the aluminum, incandescent bulb strip light... 🙂

It looks close enough, especially if you got creative with a bit of silicone. My 3d printer help me revitalize my aquarium hobby. I keep pretty stripped down tanks, so I get my tech-fix by designing new tools to help me. It's nice to get the right part, fitting just right.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:10 AM, Galabar said:

I wonder if it will fit the classic:

https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Triple-Flow-Corner-Filter-Large/dp/B0002APX0U

I'm tempted to set up a 10 gallon, just to relive my childhood, including using aluminum foil tapped to the back of the tank. 🙂

However, I'll probably avoid the aluminum, incandescent bulb strip light... 🙂

The OD of the uplift tube on the large model is 1 1/8".

If you want to go old school, Lee's still sells the Economy Corner filter.  I still use box filters, and for a 10g I'd go with the Economy over the triple flow.  The plastic quality on the Economy filter is better than the triple flow, but nowhere near what they use to be.  The uplift tube takes up so much internal room in the triple flow versions, and the air stone is more maintenance.  For anything over 10g, I go with the Jehmco round box filter.
They can be noisy, like a sponge filter without an air stone, but the uplift tubes from the double sponge filters slides on the outlet tubes of both the Jehmco and Economy.  
dALFs8L.jpeg

You don't need fingerprints. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2